The Paper Potter!

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

The Paper Potter!

Post by Bok bok bok »

Hi

I'm not sure if there is another thread on this but I have purchaced a paper potter!

It allows you to make seed pots out of newspaper!

IT IS BRILLIANT!

I usually save all toilet rolls and fruit tubs etc to plant in but this year I am hoping to sell more on the gate and it seems silly to pass the cost of flowerpots on.

All you do is wrap your newspaper strip around the 'pole thingy' then push it down on to the base and Voila - a little pot!

I am sure there are ways of acheiving this without the purchasce of mentioned item, which would be VERY frugal! But my slow brain isn't up to working it out!

Just thought i'd share that with you!!

x (f+
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

What a great idea Bok!

This will save you some money! )t'

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I bought one last year - they're fantastic! Trouble is, I'm now trying to find out how to make a bigger one ready for runner bean seeds.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I just stuck my runner beans straight in the ground last year and had a huge crop off them :)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I haven't tried this, but it sounds a good idea to make pots out of paper. What you could also do is, save your soya milk cartons, the square ones, cut the top off with a serated knife, carefull, make holes in the bottom, trim it to the height you want, a pot that you can give away at no cost to yourself.

Ilona
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Nellie wrote:I bought one last year - they're fantastic! Trouble is, I'm now trying to find out how to make a bigger one ready for runner bean seeds.

empty toilet roll cardboard innards?
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

taff wrote:empty toilet roll cardboard innards?

LOL - I've got 16 lined up on a bathroom windowsill ready for use just in case!
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I went a bit overboard, I've been saving them since last summer and have tried to give some away on Freecycle, but no luck yet ;)
Only got about 2 enormous carrier bags full ;0 :oops:
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I know the feeling - once you start saving loo rolls you just can't throw any away! :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
helios
Learner Laner

Post by helios »

I use the method on this website to make my paper pots

http://www.geocities.com/newspaperpots/

no equipment needed and you can vary the size by using different newspapers or ripping the pages up into smaller rectangles.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hi Helios and welcome to the forum.

That was very interesting - will def give it a go!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello helios, that's very interesting, thanks for posting it here, welcome by the way,

Ilona
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I'm still saving up my loo roll tubes for my experimental recycled propagator. I have got a small wooden fruit box fromt he market, may transfer intot hat rather than the cardboard box I was going to use
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
helios
Learner Laner

Post by helios »

I used loo rolls to start my parsnips off last year and they all ended up mouldy with nothing growing. Ended up having to ditch em in the wormery.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong, or was I just unlucky?
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

I did mine in loo rolls last year and they were OK - maybe too moist? I know that parsnips germinate better after they have been subjected to cold weather - it breaks down the tough seed coating - so maybe by planting late and watering well, they just can't germinate before they rot??

Just a crazy idea I had!!!
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!