wooden pallets?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Tinto Phil
Learner Laner

Post by Tinto Phil »

Here I am, only my third post and I'm telling you all what to do with pallets!

1. Put the crowbars away. Use a cold chisel and lump hammer to shear the nails/staples. This way you get a good plank of (usually) undamaged wood. Stand the pallet on one end with the slats vertical and shear the top end. Turn over and shear the other end then place horizontally and do the middle set. Put the blocks on the wood pile.

2. If it's blue and has the letters EUR stamped on the blocks, this is cash. These are European Pallets. If you have the means, a trailer or van, save these up and then visit your local motorway services. There is nearly always a pallet guy there who will exchange them for folding stuff. I think it's about £5 a pallet but don't quote me.

3. Pallets and building sites are like Laurel & Hardy, inseperable. But they are also an excellent source of 3" x 2" and plywood. The two of them have usually been used to form a box for various concrete formations and get whizzed after use. Again think 'barter'. If you introduce yourself to the foreman with a clutch of eggs and a bag of homegrown spuds, he will let you skipdive for the rest of the day. He will also have stuff put by for you next visit. It might take a bit of confidence at first but the rewards are worth it. A building site discards wood from day one until the end of the project. If you get in on the ground floor (pun intended) and build a relationship then nothing is impossible. You might, for example, happen to mention one day that you're going to B&Q for a small bag of cement. A bag, as if by magic, will usually appear.

So with your pallet slats, reclaimed 3" x 2" and a bag of galvanised nails, you're all set to make greenhouse shelves, fence sections, chicken coops, composters...................etc, etc, etc.

Wood and it's uses are really the only thing I can talk about with any degree of knowledge.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Phil, Blue pallets, or Chep pallets belong to GKN, they are rented out. When a haulage company delivers goods on one they have to receive a blue back. Every so often GKN do an audit with the companies who rent their pallets, they are charged for any missing pallets. You can be fined for illegal possession of a blue pallet, they belong to GKN.

prosecution case here

Euro pallets are mailnly white, blue Euros are not that popular, they are smaller than the bog standard pallet.

Ilona
Tinto Phil
Learner Laner

Post by Tinto Phil »

Fair point...............I will endeavour to keep scavenging tips legal and my nefarious ideas to myself.

We won't even mention bread trays!
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

ha ha but you have )j;
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I don't care !
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

about what
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Seen my Gardening Pages !!!

I did seek permission however !