wooden pallets?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
b_cos_1_can

wooden pallets?

Post by b_cos_1_can »

ok im on a mission. when i get an idea in my head thats it, and i find DIY a very good way of releasing built up tension! so im going to build! hammer, nails, screws, dril, saw and i are ready to go....now where to i find some pallets to smash to pieces and build me a compost bin?
i was thinking of going to the local 'recycling facilities' but dont think they will have any left, and ive posted on freecycle, where to next? oh and i want them today!! lol :oops: will post pics if i get it started!!

thanks all

kat x
ged
Lively Laner

pallets

Post by ged »

:mrgreen: Hi Kat,
building sites,refurb area,industrial sites to name just 3!I have never ventured further than the bottom of my street for pallets and I have had a steady supply for 3 years now,these keep me in wood for heating!
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

go to the back door of tesco
they cant get rid of white plts
you should be able to take what you want
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
wendy

Post by wendy »

Spencer took 3 back to Wicks (c) just last Wednesday.
They were surprised and said no one does that, what shall we do with them.......re used them??
Spencer said you have them, because I didn't order them.
So there must some around if no one takes them back
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

You could try builders merchants like Travis Perkins or Jewsons.
I like Dave's idea of trying Tesco.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

ive got 5 at the moment, one of which ive stapled chicken wire to, to make a very temporary fence :shock:

the next 4 will be taken apart tomorrow if i can bowwor a crow bar from my wonderful neighbour )t'

ive got the hugest tescos ever near me so ill be knocking on their door this week me thinks seen as im on annual leave! will keep me out of trouble!!

i got a load of positive responses from freecycle but they were all 50-60 miles away :shock:

thanks for all your suggestions

kat x
Caro
Learner Laner

Post by Caro »

Our local agricultural merchants gives them away willingly, they are the pallets that sacks of animal feed arrive on.

H has just built a really nice chicken house out of them. Amazingly, some are teak and oak, not just rubbishy wood.

Good luck, hope you've found some...
Davina
Learner Laner

Post by Davina »

I know you want to release tension, however, you do know you can make an excellent compost bin by just putting 3 pallets together in 3 sides of a square l_l kind of arrangement... even better you can do l_l_l meaning you have another compost bin to turn your orgional one into and start another, plenty of air can get in and it's easy to cover..

Not that I don't want you to be able to vent your tension..

Or you could use this plan (see below) using a pallet and make a very excellent broody hen house.. and then sell them onto us..

http://www.pekinbantams.com/broody_coop_1.asp :oops:
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

now that is a nifty coop!

the spacing on the pallets were huge and i thought 'stuff' would fall through the gaps, thats why i took em apart!

ive seen another thrown on top of a skip round the corner too, guess where im off to tomorrow!! :wink:
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Pallets

Post by PetHeaven »

You could try garden centres-they always seem to have loads from the compost bag deliveries.
I have tried to break up pallets to use the wood, and what a job it is-you need to be really strong-which I'm not, and you'll need a car big enough to get them in!
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
suffolkhens
Lively Laner

Pallets

Post by suffolkhens »

My local nursery/farm shop has a huge pile of them and are only too happy to let me take them. My understanding is that they are a strange size and as such are no use to anyone.

So far I have built my composting bank from them and my neighbour and I are planning a foray into making hen houses as she has downloaded some plans from e-bay.

Apparently there is a knack to dismantling them
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think it's called 'bloomin hard grind'.

I've dismantled loads. It's good to choose them with this in mind.

The stapled ones are the worse !

A crowbar is an essential tool.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

Davina wrote:I know you want to release tension, however, you do know you can make an excellent compost bin by just putting 3 pallets together in 3 sides of a square l_l kind of arrangement... even better you can do l_l_l meaning you have another compost bin to turn your orgional one into and start another, plenty of air can get in and it's easy to cover..

Not that I don't want you to be able to vent your tension..

Or you could use this plan (see below) using a pallet and make a very excellent broody hen house.. and then sell them onto us..

http://www.pekinbantams.com/broody_coop_1.asp :oops:

i just bought these from Trevor, they look great, i noticed two houses in the next street were having building work done so i asked the builders and they gave me nine pallets so if we get any dry days its my next project :-D
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
Popalops
Lively Laner

Post by Popalops »

First.....
Thanks Davina, that coup idea is great.
My local timber Yard is only too pleased when I go in with my trailer and they load for me with as many as they can squeeze on and the trailers 12ft x 5 ft...with 5ft sides... )t'
Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in his moccasins.
Sioux Indian Prayer
Many Many chooks (too many to list)
1 Collie. 2 Jack Russell's. & My Lovely Wife ......
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I love this website! It makes me feel like a normal person!!!
I adore pallets, have used them for so many things over the years, but I've found them in shorter supply lately, the price of new wood has gone sky high, and I guess more people will be burning them now fuel is pricey too.
When we moved to our current home the floorboards had to come up as half of them were rotten and there was bare earth under the floor (Place built by PG tips monkeys, I reckon), but that still left a heap of floorboards for me to play with - heaven!