Electricity Bills

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

Hiya new to all this i hate it when ppl get bad exp from powergen as it makes me feel bad lol because i felt proud of the service i give but am aware of people that are appaling my advice would be to call energywatch to and outline whats happened you can prove your average use and they can work an estimate from when you moved in you will have to gree with what they provide you as they deem its your fault that you should have taken te readings but the joke is every time a company is reported to energywatch they get charged about 15 a time they should discount a bill due to the c ock ups they have caused according to billing code of practice also everytime you call and they log into your account they will be something registered even if its just their user id also by law you are allowed to request they send you a print out of all the account records best number to call is the billing call centre number which was last time i checked 0800363363 the energywatch number will be on all bills albeit in very small print from whatever company you're with

good luck its worth a push believe me
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thank you for that.

We've used exactly the same electricity as we did last year, yet the meter readings are half the amount - that's my debate with it.

Could it be that meters occasionally go wrong and over read?

I can't believe that each week......

Oven - about one hour a day
No - electric heating atall
Washing Machine - 2 cool washes a week
Water Heater - one hour twice a week (we wash with water from the Rayburn)
Microwave - maybe three minutes 3 times a week
Lighting - Maximum two lights on at once after dark
PC - About 3 hours a day (but now use laptop)
Fridge Freezer

etc.etc.

came to £500 per month last winter !!!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Electricity Bills

Post by AnnaB »

Richard
That's definitely not right. Work out the loading of each item/appliance and then the wattage used and take readings for a week. £500 is excessive.
wendy

Post by wendy »

WOW. I think they want you to pay for the whole lane !!!
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Are you paying for the whole lane!????!!!
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Richard

Post by Richard »

I did actually wonder that! At some stage I really must ask the other 4 homes down here what they pay.

Next door have a baby and they use far more than us, yet a smaller bill.

Regret the Electric Company just aren't going along. Even the Meter Reader chap said it "seems to have settled now"!!

They are final demanding me and I'm sticking to wanting someone to come out here to view the house and appliances, even if I have to pay for that.

They sent a 'Collector' round who was a very nice chap. I gave him £200 cash 'as a gesture'. He did say "between you and me" to see the Omnbudsman, but I haven't done so yet, still waiting the next move!

At the end of the day - I don't dispute what the meter said, I dispute what it said is wrong.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Electricity Bills

Post by AnnaB »

Richard

Oh dear I think the teeth thing is getting to you.......meters speaking to you?? I hope you didn't reply!
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have just read your mail to Spencer and after I picked him off the floor at the size of the bill. He said I wouldn't pay that.
I think you need to get on to the ombudsman like yesterday.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes you're right (both Wendy and Anna).

I'm on a final push at work to get the teeth money and working silly hours Anna! It's not just the teeth, it's taking 6 days off casual labour to recover as well if you catch my drift.
However, that will settle down in December and I can chose my own hours.

Yes, I think I will phone them again tomorrow, at least it will show in their records that I am not simply avoiding anything.
I learnt last winter when I had some troubles with something else due to illness that if you phone them or simply pay a small amount, you are showing a want of solving a situation.

Thanks for the replies, Richard
Yorkie
Lively Laner

Post by Yorkie »

Richard,
As a (un)civil servant - I would seriously ask them to check the electrics. Previous occupants may have have installed a sneak or undocumented feed to another location. We have a four bedroom house, and we pay nowhere near what you are paying - and we have electric hoists, bed and always have washing m/c & tumble drier going for our lad. Even if you have to call their bluff with a "Test my electrics" plea - if you are right, I'll pay for the test, then do so. Something is seriously wrong here. You can't use that much elec in a quarter let alone a month (we would take about 10 months to run up a bill like yours!). Someone, somewhere, is tapping into your supply for free or you have a serious leak to ground/earth on your supply.
I know my degree is in Mech Eng but my knowledge of Elec Eng tells me you are (as yet to be declared) being ripped off. The mathematics/sums don't add up - if no help is forthcoming - use the Ombudsman or local MP. 1st step - comparable house in same location is a really good start. So your research (of neighbours bills) is actualy key to solving this. Good luck & keep us posted.
(A former occupant may have run a spot welding/car repair business of similar in a 2nd location and you may still be being charged for it, for example . Well they aren't going to 'fess up about are they? - sorry Utility Co - your bills are too low!.)
If is turns out to be less sinister - your meter could be wrong/broken - when was it last checked (for accuracy) or calibrated?

)ro(
6 Birds, 5 Pussies and a Wife!!!
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Unless your chooks have hooked up their own 24/7 heating supply to their coop you are defintely being ripped off. Speak to the elctric co one last time, showing them the prev winter bill, and still go to the Ombudsman (energywatch). Citizens Advice bureau would be a good call as they may be able to give you better advice initially. (They do also have a facility where you can have half hour of free legal advice which may force their hand to act?) There is no way I would pay the money as reclaiming it will take forever. You have made initial payments which show willingness to deal, the onus should now be on your electric co to prove validity of their outrageous demands. Like Yorkie said... our bill is average £60 per month all year, we run our washing machine and tumble dryer all day at times, we have an electric oven which is huge, we run Oxygen Concentrator 16hrs per day, NG tube pump 15hrs per day, Ventilator for 16hrs per day the list is endless, and no, we don't get any concessions. Keep us posted on your progress. Don't let them get away with this, they rely on being able to squeeze people like you knowing full well you will not have the resources to fight them. (After reprimanding Yorkie for writing 'a book' I have now just done the same, I am as incensed as he was!) Sorry xx
Everything comes to those who wait...
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

And just for your reference, we have a pre-paid "key" meter for which the tariff is higher than if we were billed. I put in no more than £20 a week in the winter. We are very heavy electricity users, being at home all day, 2 family members with disabilities, 4 computers, non-stop washing/drying, dishwasher twice a day, +++.

Good luck with sorting this out.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
paxo
Lively Laner

Post by paxo »

Ok heres a few answers to your thoughts

No a meter can never run fast but it can run slow but thats only the really old dial meters

What you can do if you think you are using too much is ask to be put through to the consumption department of the company you're with believe me they dont like doing this kind of test but they do have to if you phone them with:

ALL the llist of your electric applainces and when you use them in the day and for how long in a one day period also have seven days worht of meter readings this is the best time to do it in the year aswell as its winter so youll use more now than any other time in the year. Also have all your bills to hand possibly one from the year previously so you can compare

Now electric and gas were at their highest prices last year but it does seem excessive
the only other thing i can think of is that your bills were worked on estimated readings for a while and then that bill played catch up

Legally it only has to read once every two years and they class it as your responsiblity to keep your readings accurate.

The only other option is to go on prepayment meters to make sure you dont run into that issue again they actually dont cost anymore than paying on a quarterly billing period and they're free to put in

hope this helps
ForestWalker
Learner Laner

Post by ForestWalker »

G&E is a sore point with me. I been with scottish ower for ages and their standing charges are just ridiculous! I wanna switch, but i been thinking about one of those 'green tariffs' i've heard so much about. I had a look on moneysupermarket.com cos they're got this green guide thing, and it says you can search for green tariffs as well, but i wanna know if it really does make a differece before I change. Has anyone else gone onto one of these, and what sort of diffs are there?