Another paint problem

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Another paint problem

Post by Spreckly »

I am now touching up interior woodwork in my kitchen. Finding a small amount of cream gloss paint has been more than difficult. The hardware shop had one litre tins, but would not sell me a small amount of cream. They mix paint themselves. I bought a 250ml tin of magnolia, hoping it might blend in, but it looks white against the cream. After a lot of searching and phoning around, I managed to get another small tin of cream, but it is very light in colour, and not a lot darker than the magnolia.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas. There are sample pots of various colours on Amazon, but they are emulsion. What I wonder is, if I can find a yellow, or a brown sample pot of emulsion can I mix the two together, to get a creamier colour. Would orange juice curdle the gloss?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Another paint problem

Post by Mo »

If you know the maker and name of a colour the shops will mix it, even if it is no longer sold. Also if you have a sample of the colour, maybe from one of those charts they give out.
I got Rose White for my hall and I have a list of all the colours used through the house in case I want a quick 1 coat job.
i wonder if the cream has darkened with age, or even looks paler wet than dry.
I wouldn't try orange juice. No idea about emulsion, sounds more trouble /expense than doing the wall.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks, Mo. Well, I ordered some yellow paint, which I hope to mix with the so called cream, to get somewhere near the required shade. Unlike the first two tins, it is taking several days to arrive, but should be here tomorrow.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Third lot of paint has arrived, and I have mixed it with the magnolia and cream. Not quite right yet, will add some white tomorrow.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I think I have finally got the right shade for my touch up areas. )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My paint brushes are not in thinners, they have been busy over several weeks, and need a rest.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)t' I have been impressed by how much you've done, well done.