Small coop

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
stace
Legendary Laner

Re: Small coop

Post by stace »

Welcome to DTL Karen

Vey good job Al )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Karen 4 hens 2 dogs
Learner Laner

Post by Karen 4 hens 2 dogs »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have actually taken about 30 pics since yesterday and would love to put more on so will have to suss out the photobox to here procedure.....looks bit complicated!

I have had a series of friends and family round today to see the hens and everyone is amazed.

How long will it take for the hens to put themselves to bed? I should probably ask that question somewhere else on here but im new so please bear with me )t(

Thanks again Alan

Looking fwd to seeing the girls again in the morning (sado i know)

Bye for now

Karen ))sun
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

You may have to put them to bed for a few days but it won't take long for them to learn where bed is. I wouldn't do it too early - they may still go up themselves also it's easier to move them when they are 'asleep'.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Karen 4 hens 2 dogs
Learner Laner

Post by Karen 4 hens 2 dogs »

Thanks for the advice Helen. It was very cute last night, I was scurrying around getting them all in their coop and there was one left who was hiding under the coop and I couldnt get to her. You should have heard the others (the bossy one in particular) wondering where she was! Anyway when I went out this morning there were another 2 eggs waiting for me.....thats 5 since they arrived on Sat! Good going eh Ive just had my first scrambled eggs off them.
I love the idea of letting them go 'to sleep' and then putting them to bed.
They are lovely. Do you have hens? If so how many and how long have you been keeping them?

Thanks again (f+

Karen
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes they are funny aren't they...I love the gentle complaining when they are sleepy!

I have had my girls for 18 months - started off with 2 then 3 weeks later got another 2! I got 3 more Point-of-Lay this spring but a few weeks ago was down to 3 again. I had 3 deaths and one went to live with my daughter.

A few weeks ago I got 4 free range rescue girls - I don't know what your maths is like but it means I have 7 again at the moment! I got eggs from my newbies for a few days then none for a few weeks. They seem to be starting again now.

Hope you enjoy your chickens. I'm afraid the winter can be challenging - especially at the moment because of the constant rain and mud, but spring is only just round the corner! I wouldn't be without them!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

It only took a few days for them to go into bed on their own, they all used to trot up the ramp one after the other.I have a shed now, but at around 4,30 tonight they all popped in throught the door, and straigh into the straw, if you get through the first winter you will be well on your way )t' Spring and summer is great spent hours outside with them till 10 at night,i love em to bits! {hug}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"