How much have you saved on your recycled projects

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

How much have you saved on your recycled projects

Post by Richard »

Manda came up with a pretty good idea and told us what she had saved on her Pallet Projects (perhaps you's like to copy it in here Manda?), so I thought maybe you'd like to put a price on what your item/s would have cost, either below or within your thread, had you purchased them online or from a Shop.

I think it would be quite an eye opener !!!

For example, a Compost Bin SEE HERE and they're a good priced Store !

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Re: How much have you saved on your recycled projects

Post by manda »

I hadn't thought about how much it would cost to buy the things we made with the pallets but Mo thought this up and I thought it was a good idea..so:

I've had a look on some UK sites for a rough idea (sorry no pound sign on this keyboard so just numbers !!):

Pig hut = 250 pounds each - iron ones were 350 so I knocked off 100(we made 2!). We reckon that they have cost us about 10 pounds with the nails to make =480 pounds saved!
Potato box= 25 pounds each - working on the potato planters that are much smaller made out of plastic (well would still have to buy them!)and we are planning on another 3 at least to go with that one = 23 pounds saved
Raised beds = 154 pounds for 1.5m (wide) x 1.2 (long)...our raised beds are 10metres long we would have needed 8 of those to make one box and we made two beds!!!! That would have cost us 2464 pounds!!!! Altogether with the nails we reckon they have cost us 12 pounds each for a 10 metre long bed!= 2440 pounds saved

Total cost to buy them all: 2989
Total to build them all -with pallets and old iron: 46
Total savings 2943 pounds saved !!!!

Richard - thankyou for doing this competition ...it spurred us on to do more things and we have saved a fortune and thanks Mo for suggesting adding up the savings - it really has made it a satisfying exercise !! Anyone who decides to go down the pallet route will be a winner

A very very happy - feeling very frugal (f+
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
chrissyrozes
Learner Laner

Re: How much have you saved on your recycled projects

Post by chrissyrozes »

that's a great saving, i made the temporary coop for absolutly nothing...i scrounged everything from friends family, neighbours and what i had left from a previous pet cage i had built (hubby called it ferretopia! :? ) so i reused nails and screws and hinges and bolts from that which at the time was recycled anyone so cost me about £6 to make, the one i am building now has cost me £35 for materials which is mainly the wire i had to buy, everything else is pallets free from work and bits and bobs i have already used! :-D i will have to pay for feeders and food but i think i've done pretty well seeing as the same size coop (found on ebay) would have cost me nearly £400 with postage!!! and it means i can make it more homely and personal for the girls! oh that reminds me....does anyone know what weather proof paint i can use that will be safe for the girls too? x thanks x