Ugly old decking makes itself useful.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Brakersway
Lively Laner

Ugly old decking makes itself useful.

Post by Brakersway »

This is what Ive been up to over the last month.
We had a very large, very bland expanse of decking at the bottom of the garden. It measured approx 8metres by 4 metres. Its made of pressure treated timber, so has a good few years life left in it. After a soaking with a jetwash, and a lick of paint, it will come up lovely.
So first pic. Used said decking to fence off the area where the decking was previously. Instant veg patch. There was all manner of bindweed under the weed sheet, plus umpteen tonnes of cement used to lay paving slabs for the decking to sit on. The paving slabs will be reused for something else.
Next pic. I decked up the side path of our house. It was previously a muddy and coal ash soup. Its sat on 2x4's that were also from the old decking. Much much nicer to walk on.
And the next pics. Please excuse the mess. The trailer is being loaded with all the *&£$ that was in the garden. The garden was a proper state, and Im glad to finally have the time to sort it out. These pics are of the front fence I popped up in place of some rather battered old panels. The six foot section betwen the posts by the garage is actually a very large gate. The whole section swings open on a large castor. Also note, trailer recycled from an old caravan )t'
Next pic. My bunny hutch. She-ra and melody are our latest editions. We have had them less than a week now, and a similar hutch costs far too much for my liking. £25 roll of wire (which has loads left) £8 worth pressure treated offcuts from a local shed company, numerous bits of the old decking and a days hard graft later.
I bought a cheapie polytunnel off ebay in autumn and set it up to the best of my abilities. I thought it was a pretty good job. But the flimsy metal poles didnt stand a chance against winter weather, and it promptly blew down a couple of weeks later. I didnt want to write it off as a bad job, so I bodged it. The sheet is buried in the ground, so I had to go in and remove all the poles from the inside. And then constucted a frame inside using the 2x4's from the decking. A few patches with some duck tape and I have a useable but by no means pretty polytunnel again. But by eck its strong now. Plus I have a 2x4 running the length of the roof, which I can hang baskets from 8)
Also a bit of decking has been used to make a path down the middle. You may also note some runner beans on the table, which I didnt harden off properly and have passed away during the other night. I also lost several toms, 2 squashes and 2 cucumbers )dwn: But you live and learn.
Next pic. I removed as much coal ash from the back passage {rofwl} as I could and levelled it off behind the garage. A layer of weed control fabric and some slabs also from the decking. With the addition of trellis, which my dad found god knows where. An ivy and some rocks I collected from a closed quarry later and we have the ideal spot for a compost bin and our recycling boxes. Just gotta get rid of all that cement, which is the only thing from the decking I have been unable to find a home for.
I have around 5 or 6 3.8m lengths of decking still to find a home for. But Im sure I will manage it.
The only cost apart from my time was three small buckets of various sized decking screws, which came to less than fifteen quid )w(
If you try to fail and succeed.
What have you done?
wendy

Re: Ugly old decking makes itself useful.

Post by wendy »

My goodness, what a busy little person you have been. But well worth the effort by the look of it.
Well done, you
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

What a busy bee you are.. Brill rabit hutch )t' .. It's a great feeling transforming a plot into a proper garden isn't it. :-D
PS..Don't forget to keep posting pics of your progress... )w( ( I'm nosey !!!)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

yike* WOW!!!!!! Impressive!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Good on yer...you've been busy!!!!
All looking really good - great to see recycling with one thing going to use in so many ways. )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Brakersway
Lively Laner

Post by Brakersway »

Well thankyou for your kind words :-D
Cant waitto get all the general construction work done, so that I can arrange some form of grass instead of weeds {mr.angry}
But at least there are plenty of dandelions for the rabbits.
If you try to fail and succeed.
What have you done?
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

Thats brilliant, wish you could come around to mine, I've got 3 pallets size 4' x 9' in my garden waiting to be transformed into something amazing but no matter how many hints I've been dropping lately there they stay propping up the wall {cry}