Building a coop!!!!!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
chriskitty572
Lively Laner

Building a coop!!!!!

Post by chriskitty572 »

My son and his girlfriend want to keep chickens now that they have seen mine. I am afraid that I bought my coop off ebay. But they want to build their own coop. Does anyone have any plans or information on coop building. They want to get four chooks. These chooks will free range the back garden, so a large run will be unnessasary.
)hlp>
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Building a coop!!!!!

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Chris,
I just sort of steal ideas off other people and wing it, but you might find this site useful )t'
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie ... p?id=49209
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Welsh
Learner Laner

Post by Welsh »

Have a look at the pictures on here for ideas, mine started life as a packing case in work and was pleased with the finished article.
Give it a go after all its yours and noone can say its wrong or right, as long as your happy with it, oh! and the chickens.. :-D
Jeff
4 new girls all Sussex Bantams.
jennyt
Lively Laner

Post by jennyt »

we got a shed from a friend and adapted it. cut out a pop hole, made some nest boxes from old wood, attached a perch, put in a screen so that the front door could be kept open, and built a large pen. we only had 6 hens at the time but knew we would be adding to the flock later, so they've got plenty room. :-D
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

I'm having a bit of a build or buy dilema my-self , will prob take the easy option and buy.

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Reebek
Learner Laner

Post by Reebek »

Hi!
I have recently converted an old chest of drawers into a chicken house. We have 3 chickens. I originally made two floors with a ramp leading up to the second floor, but they kept knocking the ramp down (within 2 days of moving in!), so I had to modify - its now a bungalow, with a mezzanine level! I kept the bottom drawer as a drawer, so I could easily clean it out. It has a nesting box and a perch in it (although they are rarely to be found all roosting on it!) and I made a large door in one side, so I could get into it, and a pop hole and ramp the other side. Also, I kept the top of the unit and made it into a roof - slanting it and adding roofing felt. It's not perfect, and I'll probably have to modify it some more, maybe for winter, but I got tremendous pleasure from making it and actually, I'm quite pleased with myself!! Go for it!
“Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” Frank Lloyd Wright
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

That sounds ingenious Reebek.. )t' ..How about some pics.... :-D
jennyt
Lively Laner

Post by jennyt »

imagine what you could do with a wardrobe )t'
Reebek
Learner Laner

Post by Reebek »

jannie wrote:That sounds ingenious Reebek.. )t' ..How about some pics.... :-D

Will attach some, when I find my camera! Of course I took plenty of pics when it was finished! Heath Robinson eat your heart out! :-D
“Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” Frank Lloyd Wright
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Reebek,
Welcome to The Lane.
When you come to post photos you can't download them straight from your PC you will have to do it via Photobucket, Picasa etc )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Reebek
Learner Laner

Post by Reebek »

Thanks for that! I will see if I can! )t'