Roofing materials

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
maz24
Longlasting Laner

Roofing materials

Post by maz24 »

I after ideas . I have my chicken run under a pergola (think thats how you spell it)and have had it nicely roofed with tarp held in place with wood but along came the seagulls after the first shower of rain bathing in the puddles and pecking holes in it so much the rain pours through in places. After the heavy rain we had last night /this morning it was as wet and puddley in the run as last winter without the tarp. Has anybody got any ideas of something cheap to put on top of the wood structure to keep the rain out . I thought maybe corrugated plastic but someone said it may be too hot in the summer for girls, but as it would be about 8ft high I thought it would be ok, the tarp is wonderful as it keeps the sun out as well. Any ideas please
Maz
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Roofing materials

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Maz,
I assume the thing you want to roof is a square or rectangle which id easy to roof as long as you have beams to support the middle of the sheets.
Does the roof have to be transparent?
You could used any type of corrugated sheeting if not. We've used Onduline which comes in black or green and provides shelter from the rain or sun, but goes on the same as the see through stuff and cuts easier than the plastic.
If you decide to go with the see through stuff then just get some greenhouse shade netting which will cut the heat down when it's sunny.
Hope that's some help.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

Hi Maz,

I used corrugated plastic sheeting over our chicken run.
I have left a bit at the end (the part that drains best) open to the elements so they can get wet in the rain if they like.
I put the sheeting up in February and did have a bit of a worry that it may get too hot for the chickens in the summer but it has been fine so far and we have had some pretty hot days lately.
The run does have shade in at least part of it throughout the day which helps (I don't know your situation).
On sunny days it feels cooler under there than it does standing in the garden in the sunlight.

To sum up I would say if your run is in partial shade then the corrugated plastic is fine. I would not be so sure if it is full sun.
Hope this is helpful.
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
entrus
Lively Laner

Post by entrus »

If anyone wants cheap/free waterproof roofing material for poultry/rabbit houses, see your local supermarket and ask if you can have the plastic advertising banners when they are no longer necessary. Just nail them on like roofing felt, clean side up of course unless they are paying you for the adverts!

Nick
[center][/center]Visit us at the the Living Well On A Shoestring Blog at http://tinyurl.com/a5hdujt Helping you live better on less!
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

entrus wrote:If anyone wants cheap/free waterproof roofing material for poultry/rabbit houses, see your local supermarket and ask if you can have the plastic advertising banners when they are no longer necessary. Just nail them on like roofing felt, clean side up of course unless they are paying you for the adverts!

Nick

Marvellous idea. Thanks for that one Nick )t'