Winter projects already!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Winter projects already!

Post by Mallard »

I want a furniture move round in the tunnel next year, rectifying the mistake of not growing toms in the south end! :oops: And a bit more staging for next seasons seed trays.
Instead of growing directly into the soil, I shall use grow bags on benches. Not so far to bend when I side shoot! )grin2(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Steve the Gas

Re: Winter projects already!

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good work there Mallard. I'm usually very busy with 'winter work' about now, but August has a horrifying cricket schedule.
However, I've managed to find enough medium wood to last me til about February I reckon.

I want to order the coal, but I'm out all the time and want to make sure it comes etc.

I made some wood / coal bunkers out of old apple boxes last year and they worked a treat, easily last another few years.

Come mid September and I'll be faffing around to my hearts content!!

Your ideas are so good.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
LynneP
DTL Facebook Admin

Post by LynneP »

A very good idea to extend the season. I have two of my big tomato plants in pots and will move them inside an empty stall on the barn's south side window and encase them with clear plastic to extend the yield.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
~Emily Dickinson

http://goldenhillsfarm.blogspot.com/201 ... -farm.html
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mallard wrote:I shall use grow bags on benches. Not so far to bend

there was a documentary series about food growing in the UK since WW2 on the BBC, and I remember thinking about the fruit one .... "now that's a really good idea" ... strawberries in grow bags on waist/chest height benches )t'
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

As another winter project I've been planning to beef up my pea frame (which will have runner beans next season) to hold strawberry hanging baskets. It needed 3 x 3 and metaposts, expensive! yike*
Today on the pallet heap were two lengths of 3 x 3 just the right length with useful bits of angle iron attached! Someone's back yard door posts!
A plot holder I know only as white-haired Dave asked what I was up to and from his shed provided two metaposts and enough timber to complete the job! :-D

No excuses now!
- Pablo Picasso
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

That's completed the frame, reinforced with a bit of metalwork. Its cost me the price of four six inch coach bolts :-D from Will & co!
Tomorrow its off to the local market for brackets and baskets, should be cheaper this time of year! 8)
- Pablo Picasso
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Some of the dreaded blight had found its way ito the poly-tunnel, yike* so it was time for a major clean up. All the new pallet 'furniture' now installed!
- Pablo Picasso
Stormrider
Lively Laner

Post by Stormrider »

Looking good!

101 things to get done around my garden and allotment but never seem to have the energy or weather in the right combination :)