Uses for old broken glass ?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Uses for old broken glass ?

Post by Richard »

I've loads of glass floating around. I've used some to cut smaller on little DIY window projects etc. but was wondering if anyone's made any decorative or useful items from it.

Seems a shame to chuck so much away even though it can be recycled for industrial reasons.

Thanks

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Re: Uses for old broken glass ?

Post by p.penn »

Is it coloured glass Richard? You could always do a mosaic in the garden.

Or use tile cement to glue it to flower pots with bits of broken mirror.

Or you could put it in an old tim can with a hanger on it and use it as a rattle to scare the birds away from your seeds.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

No, not coloured, just old.

I keep some should I need to replace a window in the old House over the Lane. It's a listed building and old glass is usually a bit lumpy and bumpy.

I guess I could colour it and make mosaics or stained glass effect.

Maybe this should be in Hobbies and Interests, but I was more interested in the recycling into something which has a purpose maybe, don't like cluttering the place up with just odd looking ornament sort of thing.

Thereagain, there is modern art in it I guess.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My friend has a tumbler - for smoothing/polishing stones. She has used it for glass quite successfully - producing an effect somewhat like sea-glass, which she then uses for mosaics or putting in plant pots. More of an artistic endeavour than a practical or frugal one though.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks LBF. Interesting, I'll look into that one. I guess there's room for some sort of Cottage Industry there isn't there.

Richard
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We have the panes from my daughters blown down greenhouse. And use them as cold frames with bricks.
Wish now we'd kept the distorted aluminium frame too as we could have chopped it up for a fruit cage for the strawberries.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I was lucky when our Landlord put double glazing in a few years back....

[center]Image[/center]

Don't use it as a Cold Frame as such, more a halfway house from baby plants to bigger one's before planting out. I have a shelf about half way as well now.
This photo is quite old, it's very tatty now, but does the job still, just missing a couple of panes!

I like the idea of 'mini cloche type cold frame'.

Richard )t'
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Mo beat me to it, I was going to say cloches or cold frames. If it's funny shapes, how about one of those geometric spherical type greenhouses that they made years ago?
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

we collect ready tumbled glass off the beach and use it for patio pot mulch, keeps the water in and the slugs and snails arent too keen on it especially when mixed with a little egg shell.

Our wood store used to be a conservatory, from freecycle, keeps the wood nice and dry and its nice and warm in there most of the year, and the neighbours cat likes it and as a bonus the rat and mouse problem seems to have dissapeared. On the minus side from my good ladies point of view, the spiders like it too, so I am the only wood fetcher in the house now.....ah well at least it's all free!!
How did I ever find the time to go to work
Stormrider
Lively Laner

Post by Stormrider »

If you'll excuse my language...

FRIT

look it up, it's quite popular :)