Who knows a bit about what ?

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
menace
Learner Laner

Re: Who knows a bit about what ?

Post by menace »

well my skills-
NVQ level 3bench joiner and Carpentry
Currently studdying for a HNC in Construction
I completed a course on lower carbon in construction
20 years boxing experience
9 years weight training, cardio and nutrition experience
15 years playing around with cars and motorbikes
basic plumbing and electrical knowledge from kitchen fitting
still not mastered the art of keeping my woman happy though! lol.
Novastar
Lively Laner

Post by Novastar »

Wow, really interesting thread and some very talented people! :)

I know a fair bit about:

Computers - well i am a PA, online gamer and self confessed geek. I have no formal qualifications, but do freelance web and graphic design as a hobby so have most computery stuff sorted.

Food and nutrition - have a A grade GCSE in this (years ago), but still maintain a strong interest and at one point started training to become a nutritional therapist. Wish i had finished the course now.

Cooking and baking - kind of linked to the above. I make very good scones and a mean Victoria sponge cake! (seriously, it bites!)

Sustainable agriculture and food production - i used to work for the Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group helping to put together grant applications for farmers and landowners to implement wildlife friendly schemes.

My formal qualifications: BSc Zoology, Postgrad Diploma Sustainable Agriculture, halfway through an MSc Corporate Governance (but now wishing i had decided to do something else!)

OH is a plumber by trade, and does a good if basic job with carpentry and most other DIY tasks. He is also very good fixing bikes and cars.
.~ You can only fly as high as the dreams you dare to live ~.

Save or even EARN money WHILST SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT!

Over 850 ecological and environmentally friendly household, garden, health, beauty, and loads of other products at wholesale prices! Ask me for details!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

You're all such an interesting bunch. Here's my bits and bobs....

Paediatric nurse, trained at world renowned London hospital. Got my BSc in Children's Nursing.

Marketing manager (CIM qualified) before training to be a nurse - with variety of organisations ranging from drinks sector, to motor industry, to publishing, to transport and police too.

I love food, cooking it and eating it. Also wine as well )pty Getting very good at spotting good deals and prices for vino, especially New Zealand sauvignon blanc - I'm sure I'm keeping their economy going!! {rofwl}

Lucky to have travelled a fair bit - down to New Zealand several times, Maldives, Dubai, Australia, Mexico and of course europe too. On a little mission at the moment to see lots of parts of the UK that we've not been to before.

Planned two weddings, we got married here in the UK in 2008, then we did it all again in New Zealand in 2009 for friends and family over there. Did most of my wedding planning for NZ over the interweb.

>mmm<
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Forgot to say yesterday, I'm not too bad at making cards and I did all our wedding stationary for both celebrations - for a fraction of the cost you'd pay for with the shops/printers/etc :-D

Save the dates

UK invitations - our thank you cards were done in just the same way but different wording inside

UK table plan

New Zealand invitations

New Zealand table plan (made in the hotel a few days prior!)

New Zealand thank you cards
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

I can handle most groundwork projects, pipe laying, block laying, patios layed, can lay bricks to garden wall standard, painting, decorating, basic plumbing, same in electrics. Totally useless at car mechanics (well can't be perfect) can mow the lawn and struggle to weed effectively.
Err indoors says I will do for her )c( Ohh and I cook a mean Sunday roast with excellent roast pots and homemade Yorkshire Puds and all the veg. {rofwl}
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

Benny&Co wrote:You're all such an interesting bunch. Here's my bits and bobs....

Paediatric nurse, trained at world renowned London hospital. Got my BSc in Children's Nursing.

Marketing manager (CIM qualified) before training to be a nurse - with variety of organisations ranging from drinks sector, to motor industry, to publishing, to transport and police too.

I love food, cooking it and eating it. Also wine as well )pty Getting very good at spotting good deals and prices for vino, especially New Zealand sauvignon blanc - I'm sure I'm keeping their economy going!! {rofwl}

Lucky to have travelled a fair bit - down to New Zealand several times, Maldives, Dubai, Australia, Mexico and of course europe too. On a little mission at the moment to see lots of parts of the UK that we've not been to before.

Planned two weddings, we got married here in the UK in 2008, then we did it all again in New Zealand in 2009 for friends and family over there. Did most of my wedding planning for NZ over the interweb.

>mmm<

Love the Pic of your Lab???? I have a Lab/newfie she looks like yours. :)
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
Shrek
Lively Laner

Post by Shrek »

My area is Fabrication and welding, I had a good apprenticeship and I've been doing the job in various guises for 33 years.

I'm also reasonably competent with most DIY jobs having done a total second fix on one of the houses we once owned. I don't touch electrical work because I'm a great believer in calling a professional for that job.
One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

pavel131 wrote:
Benny&Co wrote:You're all such an interesting bunch. Here's my bits and bobs....

>mmm<

Love the Pic of your Lab???? I have a Lab/newfie she looks like yours. :)

Thank you Pavel - I see you're in Essex. We got Benny from a rescue in Essex :-D
Bev x

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

In 2001, self and OH bought a really old park home which we gutted out and completely rebuilt. The only proffesional work done was the new roof and 2 front bay windows, a stove installed and also the electrics had to be passed.
He did every scrap of woodwork, which included building kitchen units, a pantry, cupboards and shelving etc. Plus plastering, plumbing, electrics (was his trade), tiling and built a walk in shower. Also decking etc. outside.
I Primed and decorated, laid carpets, made curtains and blinds. I also laid all the paving and laid out the garden.
We have been steadily working, adding and changing. Our latest project, taking out a 20yr old hedge and him building a beautiful fence which I wood treated.
I am really proud of what we have done, all since retirement.
I haven't put up any pics, but if anyone would like to see a few before and after, I'll put a few up.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Yes please June. Not that I'm nosey you understand, just appreciative of self build and Diy'ers.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Please do. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I'd love to see your pictures June :-D
Bev x

Mike24
Learner Laner

Post by Mike24 »

I am a Gas Safe plumber so can give advice on most plumbing problems, although diagnosing from an email can be touch and go.

Mike
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I thought I'd posted here ages ago :? apparently not.

I have a degree English lang/lit, and a post-grad teaching qualification. Used to work as a teacher (English, 11-18). Stopped teaching to have a baby ... that was nine years ago, and I've got four children now and haven't been back to work.

I dabble in various crafty things - knitting, crocheting, sewing, felting, book-binding - and occasionally sell bits and pieces.

I home educated my eldest boy for eighteen months - he's just gone back to school now (literally, first day today :shock: ) so I know a fair bit about the ins and outs of home ed.

I've also (through teaching, training, home ed-ing) got a reasonable level of knowledge about dyslexia, dyspraxia and autism.

)grin2(
pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

roddelmae wrote:On the subject of car mechanics (sorry if )ot: ) has anyone made the same mistake that I made once. I was drawing a half-shaft from an old-fashioned live axle, and found the garage wall in the way! yike*

Heh heh love it