Sealing shower trays

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Sealing shower trays

Post by secret squirrel »

I have to re-tile part of our downstairs shower room. The tiling bit I can do, but sealing the shower tray is the difficult bit. This is the 3rd time it has been done in the last 6 years and nothing seems to seal completely round the tray.
The tiles along the back wall keep coming off. Has anyone got any ideas as to what I could use to make a better job of it. Last year it was re-grouted but withing 6 months it looked a mess again. We have no window in the shower room, just a fan which keeps breaking down, so mildew is a problem. It has been out of action since the summer, now, to give it time to really dry out before re-tiling, yet again. OH got all the stuff so we could get going on it, but its the `Royal We`, I.E. me, again. OH doesnt do DIY. (well apart from the odd chicken run, under duress)
Any tips would be so gratefullyt recieved. :oops:
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
p.penn

Re: Sealing shower trays

Post by p.penn »

What aboute, instead of tiles, having a moulded sheet for the back and sides of the shower - less joinms and you can just silicone them.

Don't forget too, where you silicone the tray to the tiles, that you should put some weight in the tray really while you do it and until it has set.

Oooh hark at me. I sound like a plumber! :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

First off I would check under the tray to make sure it has enough support, if required beef up the support with timber/bricks etc.

Is the wall where your tiles are going sound, not crumbling or flaky paint etc, if it is a bit suspect use a sealer that is compatable with the tile adhesive, in fact I would just use a sealer anyway as it helps the tile adhesive bond to the wall. Use a specific tile adhesive suitable for showers and a good make. Avoid all in one products (adhesive/grout) When putting the tiles on the wall use a notched spreader to put the adhesive on the wall and then "butter" the back of each tile with a thin coating of the adhesive, literally put it on the tile and scrape it off. This will ensure maximum adhesion. When putting the adhesive on the wall keep the notch lines running the same way to prevent air getting trapped behind the tile making it hard to push the tile in. When putting the tile onto the wall use a slight twisting motion to spread the adhesive about.

Grout with a good quality grout again suitable for showers, make sure it goes right into the joints, make sure that you leave the gap for the silicone at the bottom of the tiles free from grout.

To seal the tray use a good quality silicone, Screwfix sell a Dow & Corning one specifically for sanitary use, it has an anti mould additive in it. I think it is called 785 but would need to check.

Clean all areas to be sealed with meths, don't use white spirit. The most common cause of silicone not sticking is an unclean tray/tiles, any soap residue, old silicone etc etc must be removed to provide a good base.

To apply the silicone use a specific tool like this

http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Cr ... aign=Feed1

I have a set of these and they are brilliant.

Trick is do a little bit at a time )t'

[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Is your shower tray semi-flexible fibreglass type material or more solid ceramic, same as used for WC?
If the former, good support for the tray is doubly important, as it will flex and break the sealant joint around the edges.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Thankyou so much for your replies. The shower tray is ceramic. The tool which you sugest FHLH looks brilliant. We will investigate. As you say. a little at a time.
Another problem I have is that we have white marble style tiles on the floor . As we come in from the garden the shower room /loo is straight ahead. I have a devil of a job with floor grouting as it always looks terrible and is hard to keep clean. Would steam cleaning it solve this or should I go for black grouting instead of white.?
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

If you are re-grouting you can apply a grout sealant which does exactly what it says, it is fiddley to apply but results are good, Topps sell it. Problem is most grout is semi porous and allows dirt to get in.
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
richbatch2910
Learner Laner

Post by richbatch2910 »

i wouldnt use black grout this is the dirtiest job you will ever do just hook out the old grout and regrout it white then seal it with a sealer asa soon as the grout is dry
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i do this for any baths or shower trays i fit or re-seal
first remove all the tiles (bottom row only)around the bath/shower
or if its a new install there is none )t'
then run a bead of sealer around bath /shower make sure it gets right in there between wall and bath/shower
then tile
then run a second bead of seal around the bath/shower
this bead is the one you make look nice as it's the finish seal between tile and bath/shower

by doing this any water that want's get pased has to get past two seals
and not as most people have,only one )t'

ps totaly agree with foghornleghorn2 i used this in my kitchen )t'
If you are re-grouting you can apply a grout sealant which does exactly what it says, it is fiddley to apply but results are good, Topps sell it. Problem is most grout is semi porous and allows dirt to get in.

hope that makes sence
Last edited by Dave on 19 Feb 2011, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

Makes sense to my Dave.
Commonly known as the 'belt & braces' technique! )t'
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.