Ceiling wallpaper help please

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
p.penn

Ceiling wallpaper help please

Post by p.penn »

When some idiot fell through my daughter's ceiling some years ago, I got a new one on insurance. The builders (who were recommended by a neighbour) arrived saying that the wind was blowing as they came over the hill and the plasterboard had broken so they would have to paper it. }hairout{ Exactly what I didn't want, but I was younger and didn't want to complain.

Anyway, they put this ghastly heavy anaglypta paper up and it has done nothing put peel off ever since. }hairout{ My grandson said the other day that he worried at night in case it fell on him. {cry}

So I am re-doing his room anyway, and want to get it to stick up again. As the paper is so heavy, what is the best way to do it?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Re: Ceiling wallpaper help please

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Use overlap adhesive, details here

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Border-And-Over ... nvt/607024

If it won't stay on the ceiling use some low-tack masking tape to hold it in place.

PS. take the hitching rail away from outside your house )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

O....k..... hitching rail? >coc< That has gone way over my head........
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
poppydog66
Legendary Laner

Post by poppydog66 »

p.penn wrote:O....k..... hitching rail? >coc< That has gone way over my head........

For the cowboys {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Duh! I thought it was something to keep the wallpaper up..... >dum<
Helen xx

poppydog66
Legendary Laner

Post by poppydog66 »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I never have and never will put paper on the ceiling, clues in the name - wallpaper.......
perchy

Post by perchy »

Steve the Gas wrote:I never have and never will put paper on the ceiling, clues in the name - wallpaper.......

)t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It was the stupidest thing and looks horrible. I am tempted to try to take it down but have no idea what is underneath and can't run to a new ceiling. }hairout{
Helen xx

perchy

Post by perchy »

We had some awful paper on one of the ceilings and we took it down the ceiling was awful and as we couldn't afford a new ceiling we used textured paint, two good coats, hard work but worth it )t'
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

our house was built in 1935 & all the ceilings had a thick layer of whitewash/distemper on when we moved in. We used a stiff brush on it (looked
like the house was on fire), scraped it, painted & scaped it wet, finally used expensive primer sealer & its still giving us problems in places.
Its like chalk & nothing will stick to it, I just wondered if you may also have this on your ceiling p.penn, which would cause the paper to fall off.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I don't think so - the ceiling is just plasterboard. I think it is just that the paper is so heavy. It also seems to have sort of shrunk at the joins (the paper) }hairout{
Helen xx

foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

kitla wrote:our house was built in 1935 & all the ceilings had a thick layer of whitewash/distemper on when we moved in. We used a stiff brush on it (looked
like the house was on fire), scraped it, painted & scaped it wet, finally used expensive primer sealer & its still giving us problems in places.
Its like chalk & nothing will stick to it, I just wondered if you may also have this on your ceiling p.penn, which would cause the paper to fall off.

If you are still having problems with powdery surfaces try this

http://www.crowntrade.co.uk/Products/Pr ... rimer.aspx

foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

p.penn wrote:I don't think so - the ceiling is just plasterboard. I think it is just that the paper is so heavy. It also seems to have sort of shrunk at the joins (the paper) }hairout{

There is only one reason you put paper on a ceiling and it is to hide an unsightly mess underneath.

I suggest that the original installers had no intention of plastering your ceiling and have just papered over plasterboard without skimming it first.

The easiest solution would be to have a new ceiling installed over what is there now. New plasterboard screwed into the joists through the existing ceiling and then skimmed over with a finish coat of plaster. If your room is of standard size and has no unusual features it should cost you no more than £250 and maybe a bit less.

Messy job and the room would need to be pretty much empty prior to works commencing.

Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Plasterers - messiest trade there is.

Unless I get a leak or cause an explosion )grin2(