Wooden Patio Furniture

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Wooden Patio Furniture

Post by 4pigs »

Question for you all please..
My wooden patio table and chairs are going quite "green". I oil it all a couple of times of year during the warmer months but it doesn't seem to have been enough to protect it.
The furniture is now 3 years old and quite solid in itself.
I was wondering if i should just clean them off (when it's warmer and dry) and paint them with something like cuprinol?
I have no idea so any thoughts and advice would be welcome.

Thank you

Jo x
Steve the Gas

Re: Wooden Patio Furniture

Post by Steve the Gas »

It will be algae, clean it off with jeyes fluid - re-coat wood when warmer and dry.
It is 'cos they are damp they have got it, mainly on the north side of the furniture too. )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Our furniture does this too.

We just blast it with the pressure washer every spring to get all the green off and then oil it. comes up lovely every year and ours is about 15 years old now )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

yep we pressure wash our decking for the same reason, but watch the pressure, too much and it will peel back the grain of the wood.
anybody else notice how the freezing weather killed the algae and once the ice had gone it just washed off at least on the concrete anyway.
How did I ever find the time to go to work
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Thank you for the replies - i will do as you say. I was worried that it the start of it going rotten.
I will watch the pressure because in the past i have lifted some of the concrete from between the slabs!
I did notice some patches of green seemed to have gone from the patio after all "that weather".
I'm looking forward to some sunshine.

Jo x
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

4pigs wrote:I'm looking forward to some sunshine.

Jo x

Sunshine ?..........sunshine.........ahhh yes.........I remember.

If you lift any mortar from between joints on your patio here is a solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dry Jointing - Our recommendation here is to brush in a dry mix of sand and cement as long as the paving is completely dry and there is no chance of rain. A 4:1 mortar mixture is mixed dry then spread over the finished paving. Using a soft brush you sweep the mix into the joints. Each joint is then packed down with the edge of a trowel or similar implement to pack the dry mix into the joints. this process may need repeating several times to ensure a good solid joint. Obviously any residue on the surface needs to be swept clean to avoid any cement staining the stones.

Pointing - possibly more time consuming but can achieve longer lasting results. Mortar is mixed wet and toweled into the joints. Using two trowels can speed the process, holding mortar on a large trowel at the edge of the joint and feeding it into the joint with a smaller trowel. This will also help minimise any staining on the edges of the paving slabs. The mortar will need to be pressed down into the joint and then finished with a jointing trowel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from here

http://www.bingleystone.com/_pages/LayingGuides.htm
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

FH - thank you for those recipes! I had asked a neighbour what to do but he came out with several "ifs and buts" and in the end confused me (doesn't take too much).
I will have a go at that dry mix one.
Several years ago a bought one of those tubs from a DIY shop where you just had to add the water and mix in the tub... perfect for me... so i thought.
Once i had fought the lid off and put the water in i could barely stir the stuff. I'm not being a wimp but i just wasn't strong enough!!

Jo x
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

If you find you are using a wet mortar mix on your slabs use some gaffer tape to edge your slabs (like a masking tape would do) needs to be a dry day though. Apply your mortar and if a bit goes on the edges it doesn't matter as you can just lift the tape at the end of the job )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

Thank you x