Arch and Gate

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Arch and Gate

Post by secret squirrel »

I want to put a gate on the edge of the patio to block the path to the main garden. Thought I would put an arch over the top which I can then grow something over.
How many palets do you think I would need? I can get them at our `Feed Barn`, where I get my chicken food, for £2 each.
Would it be safe for me just to lash them together rather than dismantle them. I wont be getting any help from OH, so it has to be something simple that I can manage to construct myself.
On one side of the path to be blocked is a pond with raised sides, about 30 inches tall. On the other side is the garage.
Or would it be cheaper just to put something together with trellis panels.?
Any suggestions would be very gratefully received. )t' {hug}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Arch and Gate

Post by AL37 »

Hi Lorna, I would say it will depend on the type of pallets and how big you want the arch to be.
It would look better if you dismantle the pallets first. The gate sould be easy to make and you may be able to make it without cutting the pallet boards. One pallet should be more than enough for a gate.
The first picture of an arch made from pallets that came to my mind would use no more than three pallets unless they are the bigger two metre pallet then two will be ample.
I dont think trellis would work out cheeper but would probably be less work.
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

I've been thinking along similar lines for my allotment path, not a gate but an arch. We've an abundance of pallets but making an arch with them? Old plastic tubing may be an answer (but we're lucky enough to be next door to beaty's off cuts!) ideally rustic would look nicer, just need to come across someone lopping bits off trees! :-D
Whatever grows on it must be edible though! )eat(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
manda

Post by manda »

Found this..is that what you were thinking?
https://picasaweb.google.com/deequintas ... 2037293314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Smallholder
Lively Laner

Post by Smallholder »

Hi Lorna,

Have you thought about using a metal rose arch... they can be picked rather cheaply from flebay or wilkinsons, only advice would be to get the best quaility you can afford as the cheaper ones only last a few years once the plants get established because of the weight.

If you wanted a recylced wooden type arch, the posts from forsale signs work rather well, need to save up a few but it's not hard once you look around and people are often glad to get shot of them as they are never collected by the companies, you could then perhaps make something like this:
Best regards, Smallholder
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

I think I like the pointy one best, (sorry Manda),. Never thought about `for sale` posts. Didnt know you could obtain them. I will look into that. I know what you mean about cheap metal arches. I bought one years ago and not only was it not very sturdy, but it rusted and eventually gave up the ghost. It had a hop growing over it, which was very heavy. You would be amazed, despite that, how difficult it was to get rid of the thing and the hop was even worse.
Just that I want to confine the dog to the patio during the evenings, in the summer, because when my veg beds are planted up I dont want to be forever `clearing` them after Nico has `been` in them, neither do I want my veggies constantly `peed` on. He is usually taken out for his `ablutions` but sometimes if its very late and he needs to spend a penny, he goes up the garden. Cleaning the patio is so much easier. {hug}
lorna
manda

Post by manda »

No worries I like the pointy one better too )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Spurred me on now, I've made the top bits (rafters?) just need to look around for four six foot lengths of 2x2, the cross bits will be pallet with narrow lats, when one presents itself! )grin2(
- Pablo Picasso
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Thats very good. I`m afraid mine will take a good deal longer because I have to do it myself and I`m not very good at it and will get no help from anyone in the family. My son would but `hes far too busy`. And...................always the question, "what do you want to do that for?".
Spent yesterday shifting compost on my own, so today I can hardly move. I`m afraid I`m a lone worker. {hug}
lorna
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

How do you work out the angle for the center block, to make a wider arch?
How many degrees is it on the one you have done?. I can see how you did it. Good pattern. )t' I shall copy yours if you dont mind. Its called distance learning, {hug}
lorna
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

secret squirrel wrote:How do you work out the angle for the center block, to make a wider arch?
How many degrees is it on the one you have done?. I can see how you did it. Good pattern. )t' I shall copy yours if you dont mind. Its called distance learning, {hug}
lorna

It was very technical! +pinn+
I measured the width of the bit of pathway where It was needed, drew that measurement on my potting up table (made from pallets), laid a couple of bits of pallet to were I thought they looked right, marked out on one and that gave me the rest! )t' The pretty shaped bit at the centre cover up the c**p sawing! )grin2(
- Pablo Picasso
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Just want the uprights now!
- Pablo Picasso
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Oooh, its coming along. Havnt started mine yet. Have just dismantled a wooden bench seat and some chairs, which might come in useful. )t'
lorna
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

After a bit of swapping I got hold of some timber for the uprights! )t'
- Pablo Picasso
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Well done M )t' Very neat job and elegant. I bet mine doesnt come out like that.
I am going to set a target to have it done by Easter. :-D
lorna