Hinges

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Emmachuck
Lively Laner

Hinges

Post by Emmachuck »

Hi,

we are currently making the run to attach to our chicken coop-with-run-underneath. The run is a 3 by 6 foot aviary panel on its side, on two sides, with the other two side of the run formed by a garden fence and the coop itself (i.e. a 6 by 6 foot space, plus the additional under coop space). We need to keep the run covered as it is only three foot high and we have two further 3 by 6 aviary panels for the "lid". However, this needs to be easily removable to have access to the coop for feeding, water changing, etc.

Any ideas on the best way to achieve this? I have thought maybe fixing the panel furthest from the run and having the other one flip completely back onto it, or maybe having them both hinged so they lift up and push back like a concertina (sorry, very bad at describing). Are there suitable outdoor hinges that will allow this kind of idea or is there a better solution?

Thanks for any ideas.

Emma
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Hinges

Post by AL37 »

Hi Emma, I think the way you described sounds good. The two panels for the roof would be hinged together and the the back one attached to the back of the run. That way the middle of the roof will lift and the front and back edges of the roof would meet towards the rear of the run allowing you access.
All diy stores do various sizes of hinges just a case of choosing the right one for the job )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Emmachuck
Lively Laner

Post by Emmachuck »

Thanks Al.

Emma
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

You could use some like this but make sure that they are suitable for exterior use.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/butt-hinge/invt/159731/

Front lot would need to be upside down but the rear set facing upwards (if I have the correct jist on what you are doing)
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum