drain trouble

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
ChrisG

drain trouble

Post by ChrisG »

We have just had the most almighty downpour and the yard outside my kitchen door is completely flooded. Looks like a pond. It appears the drain is blocked - any ideas what to do? Hubby would normally deal with it, but he's camping this weekend yike* and Im worried the water is going to come into the house if it rains again.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Re: drain trouble

Post by madmum »

Have you got any bicarb of soda and vinegar?It works for internal drains though you may need a stronger solution for outside!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
SouthernDave

Post by SouthernDave »

I'd guess it's just leaves and twigs blocking the drain cover. Is it the slatted type? Can you put your wellies on and go out? If so, take a shovel or stiff broom and try and sweep, drag away the leaves and stuff from the top, the water will or should rush down. If the blockage is lower, try and lift the drain cover off, but careful they are heavy and likely to be wedged in with dirt. If you can lift it off and the blockage is near the top, I am afraid it is rubber gloves and the long arm. None of this is 'nice' but it is only surface rubbish not sewage, so think positive!

If it is a deep blockage you'd need to get a proper rodding set down it, but try the above first. Our garages flood up often because the dry weather means the slats to the drain covers get filled with dust and leaves and rubbish. Just needs a quick pushing away to let the water go and then a quick clean out with the trowel. Easy!
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks guys. The rain had washed all the debris (dust, leaves etc) from the yard into the drain. When I scraped it with a trowel, the water did gush away like you said it would :-D )c(
SouthernDave

Post by SouthernDave »

)t' Well done! If you can lift the cover, it would be worth now having a scrap out with the trowel and perhaps swishing a solution of Jeyes fluid down it. And remember to sweep up the area now or when it rains, the lot will go back again!
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Man the life boats women and children first !.
No really, glad you got it sorted ok.

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

SouthernDave wrote:And remember to sweep up the area now or when it rains, the lot will go back again!

Erm.... :oops:

Done now!
SouthernDave

Post by SouthernDave »

RuthG wrote:
SouthernDave wrote:And remember to sweep up the area now or when it rains, the lot will go back again!

Erm.... :oops:

Done now!

{rofwl}