Damp problem in caravan - drooping roof

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
luckilotti
Lively Laner

Damp problem in caravan - drooping roof

Post by luckilotti »

I am not sure if anyone on here can advise but i'll give it a go!

I have an old caravan that i'll be honest, didnt cost me much. I use it for a couple of months a year to speel in when my mares are due to foal - so normally in summer when its dry...
When i bought it i was told there was a damp issue - and i could see the roof drooping inside. It didnt bother me. If i pushed on the ceiling a few splinters of rotton wood would drop down but i dont make a habit of touching the ceiling so hey no - no issue.

I dare say i should have done something about it but i never got around to it :?

Now, the roof lining inside is really drooping, and if i dont take it down, one day it will fall down itself! Now i have looked on caravan forums etc and it seems a few do it themselves, but i was wondering if anyone on here has attempted such a job and if so, how easy/hard was it?

My 'plan' of action would be to .....
Carefully take the roof lining down - i plan to refix this as dont want to have to buy new.
remove rotton batons and insulation
clean the roof on the outside - hopefully see if there is a particular spot where water is coming in - seal most of the roof with a spare seal type aerosol that you can buy? If there is an obvious hole (pretty sure there isnt as it never pours in even when its raining hard) then try and fix that.
Reinsulate (plan to use what you would use in a loft situation - would this be a fire hazard etc???)
Replace wooden batons
Try and put roof lining back up (messy i dare say!)

Thats the plan..... Now... a caravan repair company say that it would cost at least £300 for them to do - at the least (they havent seen it). I need to figure out if it will be easier for me to attempt it myself or if i should just pay a company (the caravan only cost me £250 so not sure if in the long run it would actually increase the value of it by that amount etc)

Also - does anyone actually know how to work little heaters, water systems and the gas bottles in a caravan who could advise me as apparently it all worked when i bought it - but i dont know how so have never bothered! I use the fridge via the electric hook up, and then have the cctv for the foalings plugged in - then i go with lots of duvets and a hot water bottle! (I will have to get photos of the heater, water system etc so you can see what type i have so you can advise if possible!)

Thanks for reading!
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!
Blackpool/Preston Collection Point
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Re: Damp problem in caravan - drooping roof

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

I would go with the pro's re the repair.

They have all the gear.

And the knowledge.

If the repair is uneconomic then bin the van.

)t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Re: Damp problem in caravan - drooping roof

Post by secret squirrel »

Professional repairers would be better as its a specific technique.
Gas, and water heater: gas cylinder should be in the front box, if you have one and is valve operated. Just turn the valve either one way or the other. If it hasnt been used for a bit, I would get it safety checked before you use it. )t'
If the gas is in a blue bottle its likely to be butane or camping gaz. If its a red bottle it is designed for use in colder climate as it doesnt freeze so quickly. We have the red canister, because we camp in winter months if we get the chance.
Its the actual valve which will need checking and also to see how much gas there actually `is`, left in the bottle. There are also gaskits, which need replacing from time to time.
lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.