Fitting a sink

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
debs123
Lively Laner

Fitting a sink

Post by debs123 »

Hello,

My first time posting in this part of the forum and wondered if someone might offer some advice please. I have a tap in my garage and I wanted to fit a sink. Firstly I am not sure what type to get or even where I can pick one up cheaply. Secondly, is it something an amateur DIYer can do or do I need a plumber? >dum<

Debs
Debs
x
ChrisG

Re: Fitting a sink

Post by ChrisG »

It isnt hard if you have a place to get water from (and you said you have a tap) and also somewhere for the water to run away when you take the plug out of the sink. The hard part is describing how. Have you got or can you get (borrow from the library) a copy of the B&Q DIY book - it has almost idiot proof drawings and diagrams for most things (I learnt how to plaster a wall from it). It will probably tell you how to fit a sink too.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Also depends on what skills you posess, and tools.
debs123
Lively Laner

Post by debs123 »

Which do you reckon is the best type to fit and any ideas where to pick one up from fairly cheaply? +confused+
Debs
x
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

We have a local paper in our area where ads for all manner of things are listed for sale. You can pick up things like kitchen and bathroom equipment for peanuts. You might have soemthing similar in your area?

Then there is ebay of course.

Depending what you want - kitchen/bathroom/Belfast etc, you might get one cheaply in a supply store near you.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Where will the waste water go ?

A sink is only a tap with a recepticle below it, but it does need somewhere to drain.

This will involve drilling a fairly hefty hole in the garage wall, and then depending on how much water will pass through the sink how you deal with the water. A soak-away perhaps or if not a lot of water involved just drain it into a flower bed.
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
debs123
Lively Laner

Post by debs123 »

Hmmm. Perhaps one for a plumber after all. :oops: Thanks for all your advice.
Debs
x
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

debs123 wrote:Hmmm. Perhaps one for a plumber after all. :oops: Thanks for all your advice.

very wise decision!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Please let me know how much it costs as this is something I am also thinking about doing. I am also thinking about installing an old washing machine in the garage.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Mrs B wrote:Please let me know how much it costs as this is something I am also thinking about doing. I am also thinking about installing an old washing machine in the garage.

do you already have a water supply in your garage ?
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Mrs B wrote:Please let me know how much it costs as this is something I am also thinking about doing. I am also thinking about installing an old washing machine in the garage.

I come and have a look for you - if you wish. PM me if so.
Any job price depends on a fair few variables Mrs B
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

BIL (sort of) is a plumber so I usually save up a few jobs for him when he comes to service my boiler no comments thank you
Trust me you don't ever want to do any work for me Steve, although I have a friendly tiler, an electrician, a bricklayer, a plumber and a carpenter they always groan when I ring them up to do jobs. It is not that I am a difficult customer just that NO job I want doing is ever straightforward.

I do have cold water tap in the garage, but MrB keeps moaning that I am filling up the garage and he hardly has room for his bikes.

Sorry OP I went off on a bit of a wander there, I must not drink wine before 7pm again as I tend to waffle on then fall asleep in the corner
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)t'

I have been asked a few times if I service other things than boilers? )w(

My answer- yes- fires, cookers, etc too.... )grin2(

)ot: Soz :oops:
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I'm a fairly proficient DIYer, can do most things with wood. I can build amplifiers so I do metal work & electronics. Electrical wiring, basic car mechanics, crude brickwork, I'm fairly handy & confident with most things.

EVERY time I try to plumb it is a disaster, I no longer even attempt it. {cry}

I have a very nice ceramic sink in the kitchen that I did myself. It leaked from the waste, so I duly tightened it up & tightened it a bit more until I eventually caused the glaze to crack. And it still leaks.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Strip it down Stig please, post a before and after pic and I'll see if I can sort it for you. )t'