How do I...

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: How do I...

Post by jannie »

Glad the pics helped Lucy .. about the roof fillers .. no disrespect to Steve {hug&kiss} .. but I found once the roof was on .. the gaps along the wavy sides were far too much and too near the chooks heads when roosting to leave open.. the wind howled through mine .. With the smaller coops like these each one is going to be different .. but there should already be adequate ventilation from when it had a flat roof .. I also found I have an extra gap along the edge (above the pop hole) which is open now .. but I closed it with pipe insulation when the snow was blowing around as I could hear the wind whistling through it .. you'll have to judge when your new roof is on as the gaps will be different depending how much overhang you have..I had water seeping through the hinges on the nest box, so I overhung the roof enough to solve it and the recessed bit of the roof sits snuggly along the edge that side, but creates the gap the other side .. )t'
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If low down you are bang on Jannie. )t' I was presuming head height.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

jannie wrote:Hi lucy .. we replaced the roof on our coop with onduline ..I think it's the same as yours ?.. you can get the wavy filler bits from bee & Q..they are made from a dense foam .. we had to put a few extra cross pieces to support the onduline and it worked out that there was a good ventilation gap above the pop hole.. )t'

This is our coop with the roof stripped and first battens attached to give it an overhang over the nest box..

and with new roof on..

Why would you bother with the dense foam thingy when the sides are open ??
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

The sides are only open in the run part Foggy :?
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Aah see it now, nice job BTW )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum