Paint - VOC 2010

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Stig
Lively Laner

Paint - VOC 2010

Post by Stig »

After using Dulux & Glidden stuff for years I'm thinking of jumping ship. The new formula paints are just horrible. The satin finish is now virtually a gloss, the undercoat has poor opacity. ALL the paints seenm to take longer to dry but the undercoat is clogging the sandpaper nearly 24 hours after the first coat was put on. The weathershield preserver/primer is now waterbased and offers no protection against insect attack.

The guys at the decorator centre are saying the same will be true for all makes of paint as all manufacturers have to comply with the new regs. This is ridiculous, how are we supposed to paint things?

What does everyone else use for paint, any favourites? I'm not interested in acrylics and water-based paint in general, I'm after a satin or eggshell finish oil paint.

Thanks
Glyn
Steve the Gas

Re: Paint - VOC 2010

Post by Steve the Gas »

This is one for Foggy )t'

PM the chimp. )run(
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Chimp here, :-D

Got some bad news for you Stig, water based is coming and oil based is on its way out. {cry}

With the reduction in all the supposed nasties in current paint several things have happened, oil based paint will yellow quite quickly and in some extreme cases a matter of hours :? . Lack of UV light accelerates the yellowing process. Paints are more resiny (is that a word ?) and take much longer to "go off" . Appearances have changed with undercoat drying initially to a satin type sheen, this goes away after a couple of weeks but who leaves something in undercoat that long :?

Much as it went against the grain I have swapped to water based and I currently use Zinsser Pemawhite Interior Semi-gloss,( I will put a link at the end) this is an American product and I chose it because the states have been oil free on paint for years so I have given them credit for getting it right. The advantages are many.

No smell

No undercoating (it is a self undercoating product so two coats are required)

Minimal prep, it adheres to smooth surfaces without needing the sanding that oil based needs, so if you have a good finish on the work you are about to paint just give it a clean and away you go.

Quick drying, I am recoating after two hours in this weather.

Maintenance, if in a years time you need to refresh your paint you can do so with just one coat.

Disadvantages.

It dries so quick that painting doors can be a problem, I use a 9" foam roller to get the paint on quick and then lay it off with a 4" brush )t' I water my paint down slightly to give it more open time.

You will need to use synthetic brushes, natural bristles won't work

http://www.zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.a ... 7&pgId=344

You will need to order this paint from your decorators merchant, bee and queue and the like won't stock it, even some merchants will try and give you the satin finish.

[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Thanks FHLH2, I've used waterbased eggshell in the past and it seems fine so long as it's on new wood on top of acrylic undercoat etc.

I'm now decorating 90 year old woodwork with layers of oil-based paint on - I'm really dubious that a water based paint will stick long-term. I'm also making a colour change from mid-blue to off-white, will waterbased oaint be opaque enough and go on in thick enough layers to cover it?

That said 2 coats of oilbased satinwood look absolutely dreadful - shiny, surface marks and brushmarks emphasised. It's making me very unhappy (having always liked painting before!)

Never tried Zinnser paints, although strangely I did spot them in the Crown DC when I was in there last week. I felt quite disloyal even just going in there after years of faithful custom with Dulux. I'll take a closer look at Zinnser, thanks.
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

I have just painted a complete house (trims and doors) with Zinsser Perma-white Semi Gloss and I have been impressed with its sticking power, as a test I painted a bit of trim without cleaning it (place hasn't seen a bit of paint for about 7 years maybe more) I left it overnight and couldn't shift it with a fingernail . I did dust it off but didn't sugarsoap it.

Bit more about it here

http://www.zinsserdirect.co.uk/product_ ... ucts_id=48

It comes in a 1lt if you want to try it )t'
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum