Wind turbine prototype.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Ryan
Lively Laner

Re: Wind turbine prototype.

Post by Ryan »

Al37.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but have you thought about adding the drill motor to a vertical axis wind turbine. Just cuts out trying to get the rotor balance sorted.

I was thinking of trying to build one using magnets and coils - but after looking at your set up above, was wondering how well it would work with your idea of a drill motor.

You may have actually got me motivated enough to have a go - just need to find a broken drill :)
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Now a broken drill is something I can make )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Ryan, yes I want to have a go at vertical axis generator too, bu I want to get this one sorted first.

Now a broken drill is something I can make
Dom

{rofwl} )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Ryan
Lively Laner

Post by Ryan »

Totally Scrambled wrote:Now a broken drill is something I can make )t'
Dom

Ebay is calling - if Al gets this all sorted and working well there will be a lot of us coming for broken bits! You could soon be sat counting your money whilst we all build turbines around you :D
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

hmmm what could a turbine that size power Al?
Would it need planning permission?

Wondering if I could put one in the lawned chicken garden to power a light for the chicken run area ... too many trees in the run area itself to fit the turbine.

I wish I could tinker around with stuff like that. You are very talented.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi MrsB, this one is only low voltage and it will be charging batteries to supply light etc in the shed. You can buy them to pump electricity back into the grid and lowering your electricity bills at the same time.
There are quite a few organisations who will fit solar panels to your roof (if its suitable) and again you can get lower electricity bills. If you buy the panels yourself and get them fitted then you can actualy end up being paid for the electricity you are putting back into the grid.
If you do a search for solar shed/utility light you can get some fairly decent ones that would give plenty of light for getting the chooks in. )t'
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Al, downsizing in about 5 years so don't really want the expense and hassle of solar panels. Also plumbing the washing machine and dismantling a kitchen is the limit of my DIY skills

One day I will do a video of where my garden is in relation to my house so you will all understand my gripes about power and water supply
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Water supply would not be difficult I don't think T, I've seen your place, didn't inspect your plumbing though.

Why does that sound wrong :?
Sara

Post by Sara »

Looks good Al..... Marcs eyes lit up when he saw it....... :-D I think hes added it to your list {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Years ago I thought about using those spinning signs you use to see outside garage forecourt and fixing it to a car alternator. The signs are only three feet high and spin easily. However never got round to it.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

How is it going AL, did it work?
I must confess that if I was going to do a project like this I would use a car alternator, it has been designed to generate electricity at the correct voltage to charge a car or leisure battery (there is a difference). However if you haven’t got one and don’t want to spend any money…
I am interested to see if the drain pipe blades worked.
Bah Humbug
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

a little off topic but this would suit wind power very well, thinking of trying a prototype to get rainwater back up to a high storage point for easier irrigation, better than an elecrtic pump and with an overflow back to the bottom tank, could be left running.

http://lurkertech.com/water/pump/tailer/#xtocid21322"
How did I ever find the time to go to work
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Dave, the blades do work well although I have adjusted the profile slightly from how they were in the pictures. I still haven't had time to sort the charge controler. :oops:
I want to work on maximising rpm apparently the best I can hope for with this type of blade is around 250-300rpm which would create issues for a car alternator. most alternators give usefull outputs at around 800rpm and over although I have read a few sights that talk about converting them to produce usefull power at much lower rpm.
Having said that it shouldnt be to difficult to set up some gearing, hmmm I know where there is an old racer style bicycle I could chop bits off. )t'

Gromit, thats an interesting concept, I wish I had water running through my land. )grin2(
gromit
Lively Laner

Post by gromit »

the only free water I have running through my land comes down the gutters, trouble is it ends up at ground level and I use an electric pump to get back up to the first floor, mind you for the amount of electric it uses its not a big deal but I still fancy giving the pump a try, it seems such a neat concept though i can see problems with the rotating seal
How did I ever find the time to go to work