Help with run roof

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Steve the Gas

Re: Help with run roof

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

OK, he's planned it and we're ready to go.

We tried to get the sheets last weekend but when we got to Q&B every single one of the 20 they had in stock were broken. I think it may be something to do with the fact they they are far flimsier than I thought.

We want the 10ft long ones but as they are so thin (0.8mm thick) they were all shattered at the ends and we need the full length. I think we're going to order theme online (not from Q&B as they don't stock them on line, just in store and they told us they won't be ordering any more until all the broken ones are sold }hairout{ )

Are the 0.8mm ones thick enough? What have you used? They just seemed so bendy and thin I can't imagine them standing up to any weight of snow even if supported >coc<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

That long, I would say next guage up.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thank you Steve, you've just backed up what I thought and Nick didn't {hug&kiss} {hug&kiss}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I mentioned chicken/ run/ wavy plastic roof to my wonderful neighbour last week ( actually put it slightly differently, but....!!!) and he has agreed, if I buy the sheets, to help fix it on. (help? {rofwl} )

He suggested wood batons on the top as it is very windy here. What do you think?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Helen, you could put battons over the top but whereever you fix them will creat leaks. Far better to use plenty of the propper fixings. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Having looked at the plastic sheets I was surprised at how flimsy they seem, even the super heavyweight ones so have persuaded hubs to go for polycarbonate roofing )t'

He did start muttering something about "bl@@dy chickens costing a fortune. I don't know why we don't just have a conservatory built for them!"
I think a conservatory would be a fantastic idea and have offered to get a few companies in for a quote )grin2(
Lucy x

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

When their conservatory is built you could put a deep layer in sand at one end with a heat lamp so they can pretend they're chillin' on the beach all year round )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Excellent idea Dom )t'
I have also requested a hot tub so I can sit in it and chicken watch :-D
Lucy x

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I only have a small car so had to get my poly roof delivered, I think I went with screwfix in the end but I only looked for 6ft long panels
hen crazy
Lively Laner

Post by hen crazy »

Hi we have just had horrible wind and rain over the last week and our roof stayed put and no leaks - the panels we got are 8ft long (i think) and ian just screwed them into a wooden frame he built we tried using the propper fixings but they were rubbish and expensive - the panels have stood up to some high winds and lots of rain of late and i'm really pleased with the result and how much of a battering it's taken can't remember the make but to be honest they were not that expensive i know they came in 2 colours the plain/clear (looks a bit blue ish) and a tinted (black/grey) we got ther clear (cos thats what they had the most of) and if you bought 5 or more it was a cheaper bulk price - to be honest in my humble opionion its great stuff and has done just what i wanted )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Well the roofing sheets have finally been delivered. Nick is off out to buy the wood today and construction can then start.

It can't happen soon enough - that run is like the Somme at the moment (but probably a lot smellier) }hairout{
Lucy x