has anyone doctored their bought chicken coop/run

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
sarahandmatt
Learner Laner

has anyone doctored their bought chicken coop/run

Post by sarahandmatt »

Hi,

We have already managed to put a small extension onto our ready made coop and run but I was wondering whether anyone has doctored them in any other way to make cleaning easier?

I am thinking about maybe putting hinges on the run roof so i can step in properly to clean up?

(we have dug wire right under the run with the slabs to try make it as fox proof as possible so picking up the whole thing and tipping it up is now out of the question) ***hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

I'd also like better access to the actual coop other than via the nest box and the little door so Im trying to think of a way to make the roof removable. Has anyone else done anything like this?

Im a bit of a clean freak - just incase you think im going to extremes! :-D
Steve the Gas

Re: has anyone doctored their bought chicken coop/run

Post by Steve the Gas »

So is Mrs B.

Yes you could as long as you can make it water tight.
A hook and eye affair springs to mind to hold a small roof down. )t'
sarahandmatt
Learner Laner

Post by sarahandmatt »

Thanks Steve,

Ive just had to google hook and eye hinge (!) I am not a natural with this kind of thing. Although I keep coming up with ideas of new things to build to get the chickens working on my veg patch and garden!

I just need to be sure that whatever I do I dont compromise the security of the run and coop.

)w(
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Have a look at the members coop pictures - quite a few have adapted existing coops/runs so it may give you a few ideas )t'
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you will be replacing the roof, it may be an idea to go for something like onduline if your existing roof is felted as it gives less places for red mite to hide )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Ok I am no good at DIY but would it be possible to remove the roof and make sort of grooves so it could slide on and off (obviously securing it against foxy).

Would it be easier to make a side wall removable rather than the roof?

My old coop was a wendy house which was excellent as I could fit through the door and scrabble around easily inside.

I am not a cleaning freak {warn} I just can't stand clutter or dirt, do please join my I am normal everyone else is just grubby club. Don't be tempted to try and make your chicken house as clean as your human house though as you do want them to build up a resistance to nasties.

I found zoflora a good cleaner and smells nice while you are cleaning up.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Could you not build a totally new run which is big enough to walk into. I hate the low runs as I feel it gives the chickens no head room so to speak and they are usually very flimsy....I have said this many times but the manufacturers of these runs should be shot. They totally mislead people into thinking chickens can live in square inches rather than feet!!!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Oops sorry just realised it is the run you are talking about not the coop :oops:

I must not try and post using my mobile.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Grannyof4 wrote:Could you not build a totally new run which is big enough to walk into. I hate the low runs as I feel it gives the chickens no head room so to speak and they are usually very flimsy....I have said this many times but the manufacturers of these runs should be shot. They totally mislead people into thinking chickens can live in square inches rather than feet!!!

I agree on both counts. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
sarahandmatt
Learner Laner

Post by sarahandmatt »

Thanks for all your replies,

Grannyof4 - I posted a picture of the coop/run on here before we got the chickens and following similar feedback we built a good extension onto the run so their space is now slightly above the recommended amount )t' A walk in run is just not an option at the moment due to the positioning of the garden and the need for fixed structure's needing to be invisible to neighbours on the estate - hence why i am able to extend the run to about 3.5 ft high but no more. Thanks for the suggestion though and I totally agree that its ridiculous that companies are allowed to advertise the coop/runs suitable for an inappropriate number of chickens, we have half of the recommended amount.

Mrs B - you were right it was the coop and run that im wanting better access to (!). I like the idea of making the side rather than the wall removable so will get out this weekend and see what I can come up with >ch<
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Post some pics, we can give a better idea/s then. )t'