Selling kitchen units

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Selling kitchen units

Post by Effie »

Hi all,
The house we moved into was (luckily) fitted out with a lot of high spec improvements - bathroom, imprinted drive, fancy double glazing...

This was a real treat for us because we are, by nature, cheap!

The fitted kitchen units are obviously good quality but it is terribly dark in the north facing room and there is not enough storage. We are going to rip a few walls down and replace it with something better planned. Although I think the units might be getting on for 10 years old (from the style) they are still looking quite good. A few friends have suggest we sell them which leads to my question - How to you sell on second hand fitted kitchen units?

Would love any advice, thanks, Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Re: Selling kitchen units

Post by Bollybarb »

Both my neighbours have sold their retired kitchens, i'll ask them where they advertised, but loot and gumtree spring to mind!

Remember if you manage to sell your old kitchen it will be 'bonus money' so it will have to be spent on something frivolous!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

My daughter bought hers from e-bay, I had to drive 200 miles to pick it up :?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Facebook has a Cheshire for sale and wanted group. Maybe for other counties too. That would save travel.
There's always Freegle, but no cash there.
Before everyone was on the internet they'd have advertised in the local paper, ours had free ads for things under £50. And there is a local mag Buy-Sell which is free (delivered or in some shops) but you pay for the ads.
Last edited by Mo on 12 Jan 2012, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

We have a paper called 'friday ad' which is free and is also online. I sold a mattress and a chicken cottage on it last year
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Or why not just replace the fronts? If they are good-quality units it would be an economical option.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

The layout is really bad, there is so little accessible storge space, it is a reasonably large kitchen but no use to use as we are keen cooks and want loads of storage for ingredients and equipment. We are going to remove a small, utility area which has unusable cupboards in it and knock right through.

I was really wondering how we go about removing the units so that they are re-usable. Do we leave them there until we have a buyer? Collapse them, try to keep them whole?
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

I would try to find a buyer before removing them Effie. When my daughter bought hers I had to take them apart as well as collect them }hairout{
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Awww. What a lovely Dad you are - I hope she rewards you by inviting you for dinner often :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

So Effie, have you sold them, or are you still in the planning stage?
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Hubby went for surgery in January so all put on hold, we have an exchange student with us from 12th March and the skip arrives the day before she leaves on 21st March.
The kitchen fitter has told us they will remove them fit for reuse, we just nee to get them on eBay. He was quite relaxed about the whole thing.
I have never sold on eBay, only bought a couple of things and - got two of them wrong! We do have a friend who sells stuff regularly so we are going to ask for his help.
So in answer to your question, Bollybarb, I'm procrastinating!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My son bought a beautiful kitchen from ebay a few years since. Lots and lots of storage cupboards. It was a real bargain. Hope yours sells.