Creating a Magical Garden

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Creating a Magical Garden

Post by Lillia »

[center] >mmm<
I am always thinking of very frugal ways to transform our little back garden.
Our little living room has one entire wall of windows and a door, opening to the garden.
As soon as the weather allows, we have the door open, and the garden is like an extension of our living area, inside.
We have planted our garden slowly. We have never bought a flower or shrub that wasn't on clearance price, usually under £1.00, so it's been a slow process. We have a few small rose bushes, 3 small Azaleas, a big Fuscia, scattered flowers, here and there, etc....
What I am looking for are more frugal/cheap/free ways to add some beauty, mood and atmosphere to the garden. We like to take our dinner out there on warm, sunny days but thruthfully, the garden is lacking something.
I want to sit in it in the evenings and warm summer nights, as well, but it doesn't feel as warm and inviting as I would like.
I want it to feel like living space for us....
I want to step into our garden and have the feeling of being on holiday~

Any ideas or advice?
Any photos of your gardens that you have transformed in something that feels happy or magical?
:-D
[/center]
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Creating a Magical Garden

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I love Jasmine for the scent in the evenings - lots of other scented plants are good, but for me, jasmine is the one that makes me think of summer evenings.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

How do you do that, LittleBrownFrog? You post your answer before I even post the thread!! {rofwl}

You know, you are right! I need some really good smelling stuff! I need to G%gle that so I can keep my eyes open, when they go on sale~
>mmm<
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I've asked to take cuttings from lots of places in the past, and rarely get refused. I got my jasmine by pulling it out of next-door's skip (it had been growing all over their lean-to, and they pulled it down)
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:I've asked to take cuttings from lots of places in the past, and rarely get refused. I got my jasmine by pulling it out of next-door's skip (it had been growing all over their lean-to, and they pulled it down)

We have gotten some things that way, actually. My thought is, "Why pay for something if you can get it for free?" Sometimes I really am tempted to knock on someone's door, to ask :oops: you never know how someone is going to react though....
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I have done that before as well, and asked gardeners in National Trust gardens :-D
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I always think there are a few things that are important in a garden;scent from plants like jasmine, roses,sweet peas,lavender and lots of others.I love the sound and sight of a small water feature.Even something as simple as a half barrel filled with water with a small pump to give movement and sound is lovely and will encourage insects .If you want somewhere shaded to sit a simple awning can be made using calico or canvas and can create a shadey spot to sit and relax in.If you like wind chimes they can be made cheaply enough.Simple mosaic can be made from broken tiles and can create pretty coverings for pots for flowers etc.Once you start looking you will find the ideas come thick and fast!!!!! )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Honeysuckle is pretty easy to catch as well
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

MM, good ideas~ I really would love to make some wind chimes! )t'
I want some kind of lights too. Nothing tacky, but cheerful~~and cheap!
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

MM, good ideas~ I really would love to make some wind chimes! )t'
I want some kind of lights too. Nothing tacky, but cheerful~~and cheap!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Lights........?Tin cans with holes punched out in patterns......Glass jars with tea lights in with wire round the top for handles decorated with glass paint......... )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
perchy

Post by perchy »

madmum wrote:Lights........?Tin cans with holes punched out in patterns......Glass jars with tea lights in with wire round the top for handles decorated with glass paint......... )t'

These look lovely )t'
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Get a cutting of "Mock Orange" (Philadelphus), a lovely beautiful scent from the flowers of this shrub )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Maggie1 wrote:Honeysuckle is pretty easy to catch as well

That and lilacs are 2 of my favorites
:-D
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:I've asked to take cuttings from lots of places in the past, and rarely get refused. I got my jasmine by pulling it out of next-door's skip (it had been growing all over their lean-to, and they pulled it down)

I always have my gardening knife in case I see nice herbs waving at me! .ang.
Can't beat a lot of aromatic and useful herbs!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso