Inspiration.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Inspiration.

Post by AL37 »

At the side of my house there is a narrowish yard with a carport and garage at one end of it and the gate into the front garden at the other. Half way down there is a tree that blocks most of the sun so its always been a shady and damp area. I have always planned to take the ivy of the back fence its almost a foot deep in places and over eight feet high.
The yard has always been wasted space being used for nothing more than storing bikes and bins and various other stuff waiting for a journey to the tip.
Mrs Al and myself were out having a look round the shops today and I came across a couple of things that inspired me what to do with that area.

I have decided to go with a rustic spanish style court yard theme. Once that tree and ivy has gone I intend to make the carport into a sitting area with a barbeque and a chimnea and some comfy sofa like furniture. Open it out so you can walk directly into the yard from the sitting area. Then transform the yard by maybe painting the gable end of the house (its a bungalow) and put some painted plates on the wall. A little pond would be nice in there somewhere.
Once the whole place is dressed up with terracotta and glazed pots with various plants I think it should be a pleasant area to sit on a warm evening.
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Inspiration.

Post by MissEllie »

It sounds lovely Al, hope you've got room for a DLT summer barbeque because we're all going to want to come and admire it )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Now that could be a plan. )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

A central raised pond with a fountain in the middle would be ideal to go with the Spanish theme.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Sounds lovely - I'm envisaging it with a little mosaic-topped table, maybe some moroccan-style hanging lanterns.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

That sounds so nice and a real relaxing area Al. Hope it turns out ok, are you going to post some photos for us to see when you have finished it.
perchy

Post by perchy »

mrs boodles wrote:That sounds so nice and a real relaxing area Al. Hope it turns out ok, are you going to post some photos for us to see when you have finished it.

NNNOOOOO has to be before, during and after {hug}
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

The pond will deffinately be raised Dom but I think it will be a long narrow one along the back fence with a fountain/water feature of some description.
I want to use a fair bit of mosaic around the place so will give it a go myself. I also like hanging lanterns and will use various low voltage lighting)t'
I will take plenty of pics and I will post some before pics tomorrow after I have been to the tip. :oops: :-D
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

AL37 wrote:I will take plenty of pics and I will post some before pics tomorrow after I have been to the tip. :oops: :-D

That's cheating {warn}
Sounds like a great idea Al, can't wait to see the results :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Post by wendy »

That sounds lovely. A lot of work, but worth it I am sure.
Lets hope the weather remains like it is for you all to enjoy it.
Photo's of course are a must.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

AL37 wrote: ...The yard has always been wasted space being used for nothing more than storing bikes and bins and various other stuff waiting for a journey to the tip.
....I have decided to go with a rustic spanish style court yard theme.

But then where will you store bikes. bins, and stuff? )j;

Sounds a fun project. Mosaic always reminds me of my Grandma's garden. Along one fence was a narrow border and she built a low wall with flower pots stuck onto it and all rendered and covered with broken crockery mosaic and little niches for gnomes. Maybe yours will be a little more sophisticated, but I used to enjoy it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Mo, I will get back to you about the bikes etc, haven't quite sorted that one yet. :-D

So the before pictures.

This is the car port on the side of the garage, I want to make this into the main sitting area.

This is the yard it faces, that ivy will have to go. the problem is though I may have to wait until later in the year as its always been a popular nesting area. I have noticed a blackbird and a few blue tits diving in and out.

I made a start with the paint today but got a bit distracted by a table full of food this evening. Oh well the second coat of paint can wait until tomorrow.

I found a little something to go with the theme today now wheres that gin? )grin2(
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

What a great space, are you keeping the roof? If you were in Scotland that would be essential!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Yeah the roof will stay. )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

The beams on the roof will be perfect for hanging little lanterns from and possibly growing a grapevine or similar along )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway