greenhouse

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
macleaf
Learner Laner

greenhouse

Post by macleaf »

we would like to sterilise the soil in our greenhouse,as its been there for a few years,and have been using grow bags to stop a infection any ideas?
perchy

Re: greenhouse

Post by perchy »

I am not sure what you mean? how big is your greenhouse, could you dig out the majority of the soil and replace with fresh?
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

I remember my mates dad used to use Jeyes fluid to sterilise his soil, had a trawl on the net and found this, hope its of use!.

I have just had a look at the 'booklet' that came with my Jeys Fluid (years ago, before the EU regulations!) It states--"Soil Sterilsation--Application: Fork or rake into the soil 12ml per 5 litres of water,at 10 litres per square metre. Do not plant until at least 6 weeks after sterilsation.* Timing: At any time when no plants are present" Potting Soil: "Application: Saturate 10cm layers of soil with 50ml per 5 litres of water. Leave covered for one week,then uncover and turn soil.Do not plant until 6 weeks after treatment.
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

I also would have thought that digging the greenhouse borders out and replacing, would have been the way to go, unless of course its a rather large greenhouse.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
macleaf
Learner Laner

Post by macleaf »

thanks guys,we will do as you have suggested
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

HappyBob knows all about this, so as I've had a couple of glasses of vino I'll explain! :-D
You dig a fire pit lined with bricks, stand a good 45 gallon steel barrel on the fire pit with about 18 inches of water in it. You then have a metal table that sits in the barrel just clear of the water. Bag up the compost and sit it on the metal table. Push a stick down the side to act as a water dip stick and top up hole. Sit a paving slab on the top and light the fire under the barrel. A front opening will allow you to push lengths of wood into the fire. and a flue pipe at the rear makes it draw better.
As the water boils the steam sterilises the compost, yes really! )grin2(
A heat exchanger can be fitted on the flue to warm up pasties as you wait! As you become experienced you will know by the smell when it's done! )app(

This is quite serious, and it works; I must look up the you-tube video I made of it working! )run(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Thats a very good descriptive guide Mallard )t' and I agree with Mallard that it does work extremly well. It is also said that Jeyes fluid has in the past been used to sterilize soil at the following ratio, 15ml Jeyes per 5Ltr water, and dispenced using a watering can with a fine rose at 5Ltr per square yard, although i have never used Jeyes for that purpose and can not validate the health and safety aspect of it.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap