New fence, and a couple of gates.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

New fence, and a couple of gates.

Post by Steve valentine »

My back garden leads directly on to the drive, which leads to the road, on one side is a wall, only 2'6" high.

For privacy reasons, and of cause to keep those naughty chooks in check, I've been putting a fence up, with gates to still allow vehicular access to my garage.

I did the fence part yesterday before I finally threw in the towel due to the rain.

It's constructed from 3x2" which I got in a bargain lot from E Bay. Clad with featheredge timber bought locally.

I made the gates just now but again rain has stopped play. They are made from 2x2" again from the bargain lot and will be clad in feather edge, just as soon as the weather clears a little.

Total time so far, 5 hours.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: New fence, and a couple of gates.

Post by silverback »

Nice tidy job Steve, really looks good well done )t'

Snap!, these were done last month...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saintsilve ... 459507187/
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

I saw that silverback, looks a top job!

I braved the rain and managed to complete it today. Waterproof jacket and lots of hot coffee.

Er indoors is so impressed, she wants me to make some new gates for the front of the drive as well!
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

)t' )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Smashing jobs both you lads )app( my hubby says i have to stop looking on this forum he says his head is buzzing with me saying hey look what so and sos done for their girls.I say keep these great ideas coming everyone thanks )t' Linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Nice job Steve, I have never considered buying timber off fleabay, as I automatically thought that the delivery charges would outway the saving. Was the timber local to you or was it delivered Steve?
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Looks good! Are you a carpenter by trade, by any chance?
perchy

Post by perchy »

Linda S wrote:Smashing jobs both you lads )app( my hubby says i have to stop looking on this forum he says his head is buzzing with me saying hey look what so and sos done for their girls.I say keep these great ideas coming everyone thanks )t' Linda

Mr P is the same }hairout{ and I have to say some very talented people on here, and wish I could "borrow" individuals until everything in the garden is done +f+
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

The timber was only ten miles away bob, I have a berlingo van and it's surprising what you can get in it, and on it using roof bars.

I'm not a joiner no, but I am an electrician.

Every house I've owned I've bought run down so over the years I've honed my skills at various building projects, the only things I can't do is lay bricks or plaster large areas, well I can, but not very well!

The current property I'm in took a solid month of work before we could move in. I rewired it, new shower room, turned one of the upstairs bedrooms into a bathroom, took out a chimney breast and the entire stack, fitted a fire, replaced floor joists, fitted kitchen, repaired rotted roof joists, rotten floor boards and joists, front fence with concrete posts and gravel boards and had the entire property re-skimmed. There's probably other stuff to add to that list {rofwl}

I've a couple of hundred photos of the before and afters of this place somewhere, you wouldn't believe the difference.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

My two sons and I were the same. I was a single mother, and whenever anything went wrong we had to find a way to fix it ourselves. No way could we afford to hire someone to do repairs. We all could operate power tools very well and just used our heads to come up with good answers. I fondly remember when the boys were about 14 and 9, the three of us were up on the roof in a driving rainstorm putting on a new layer of roofing over the entire thing. We couldn't stop until we had reached and covered the peak in order to prevent leaks. Bless their hearts, they worked so hard. During those years, it never occurred to us to ask anyone else to help us. Very independent -- and we all three still are. And we all know how to fix darn near anything. One son is even an electrician, so most all bases are covered.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Blimey Steve I think we were living in a parallel universe at one time, I used to drive a Berlingo, am a qualified electrician, and also have bought and done up old houses, and have a few before and after pics :-D. My current project is finishing off a loft room, and new staircase which i,ve never built before but has turned out well. You dont play guitars do you, if you do then that would be just too freaky :-D
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Kudos to both of you guys. Surprising sometimes the latent talent in people that just trying can bring out. I'll admit though, building a staircase sounds HARD!!
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Thanks Americanlady, without risking coming across bigheaded, I try not to think of things not being hard but more challenging. The more challenging something is the more satisfaction I get when that challenge is won.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

It's surprising what you can do if you put your mind to it, and you have the right tools. My chop saw has seen a lot of use and makes cutting timber square a doddle, it's no good trying to make things properly if you use and old blunt saw.

Also today re clad the front of my concrete sectional garage with the feather edge boards to match the fence, made a perch for the hen house and a wooden tray for a dust box, made from leftover featheredge boards. Also the garage got a good tidy out.

The front fence is next for an over haul, it's concrete posts and gravel boards which I did a couple of years ago, re using old fence panels, I'll make the panels myself using, yup, you guessed it, feather edge boards {rofwl}
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

All looks great Steve )t' , my chop saw has also seen a bit of hammer over the years, I agree that half decent tools can make or break a project and I have like yourself amassed a good collection over the years and keep them in fairly good order.