TETANUS / TETINUS / LOCKJAW

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
mandaloon
Lively Laner

TETANUS / TETINUS / LOCKJAW

Post by mandaloon »

It occured to me today whilst chatting about the potential for injury whilst DIYing with scrap wood etc.
That anyone new to this forum may, like myself, be embarking on a new venture. Getting an allotment. Building a chicken coop, compost etc. If so, perhaps you should take a moment to check if your jabs are up to date??

Having been on the waiting list for an allotment for the last two years ( yes I know that some lists are much longer) has given me plenty of time for planning and preperation. I'm not sure what jogged me into action but when I checked at my doctors . I was informed that the " new thinking" was, that if you have had 5 tetanus jabs in your lifetime , then you are considered " covered" for life ( that's me well covered ) however my other half was not..... in fact they had to go dig out his paper records to check! He has now been jabbed in preperation for the new "lottie", hopefully in oct' ( I wouldn't want to give him any reason to cry off)

It only takes a phonecall to your Dr to check your status , better safe than sorry.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: TETANUS / TETINUS / LOCKJAW

Post by AL37 »

Excelent advice Mandaloon. )t'
I was told the the particular stuff they injected me with last time would cover me for life. :?
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Good advice, there, Mandaloon.

Same goes for horsey folk and folk with chooks, best to keep up to date on your tetanus.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Really good advice to check whether you are covered. I nursed someone with lockjaw when nursing in Cyprus - not nice.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I said something similar on a thread the other day , tetanus injections are really important when you spend so much time outdoors . Think I have had 3 or 4 jabs but can't think how long itis before you need a booster - can anyone enlighten me please ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Annie wrote:I said something similar on a thread the other day , tetanus injections are really important when you spend so much time outdoors . Think I have had 3 or 4 jabs but can't think how long itis before you need a booster - can anyone enlighten me please ?

If you had your last one less than ten years ago, then you are covered. Five, as indicated above, covers for life - or maybe they just think people over 50 arent going to be doing anything that might need one :?
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
fabdavee
Learner Laner

Post by fabdavee »

Cant have anything like it, I am allergic to both and the horse serum type and the manufactured type. I have been told never go near them . All those lucky people who arent allergic should however be inoculated against this horrible thing.