Free advice please

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mrs B

Free advice please

Post by Mrs B »

Please could I pick some brains, DD is house hunting and some houses need a fair bit of work so just trying to work out costs for work. The houses would be older type good sized terraces 2-3 beds.

If a chimney is in a good state what sort of price would she be looking at to fit and buy a wood burner type stove? £100?

One house just has storage heaters so she would want to get rid of that and install gas central heating, other houses in the row have it. Any ideas how much that would cost with rads etc? My guess was £3000.

Bathrooms, kitchens and glazing I know the prices of.

I could just ask BIL but he is still in bed and then will be golfing.

I have to sit on my hands when we view older houses as I am itching to rip down walls and uncover fireplaces.

Thanks folks )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Free advice please

Post by Annie »

I haven't a clue about the wood burner question Mrs B but your estimate for the CH sounds reasonable to me .
I think the houses built between the wars or just after the 2nd war are usually a good but, pretty solid compared to some of the newer builds and not so bland looking, usually come with better size of garden too.
The one thing I miss about England is the style of these older houses , up here houses were built plain and square to withstand the weather, some of the builders are trying to add bays and character but to me it just looks out of place.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would say more for the wood burner Mrs B. The chimney has to be lined (pricey) and even if it already is, to buy a decent log burner would be more than £100 I would think, without fitting.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
hel
Lively Laner

Post by hel »

I think the price for a woodburner would be about £300 plus fitting for a new one. Ours cost £1200 all in but it is an inset one which are more expensive.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Actually I think Mrs B might have missed a 0 off as nothing done in the home costs as little as £100
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

I think your estimates are not that far out Mrs B, thats presuming that their is another 0 to be added to the woodburner price. I have bought a few older terrace houses, and while they are lovely to work on , I should warn you is that once you start opening them up be prepared for some suprises, some good :-D and some bad {mr.angry} , and some expensive. }hairout{
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

To have a woodburner installed by a registered HETAS engineer, then depending on the stove you buy, the flue etc, but I would guess anywhere between £1000-1500ish!.
As for installing central heating, again depends on the boiler you choose, size and number of rooms etc, but again I would guess that £3000 would be a minimum! :? .

And as Bob has mentioned with older properties, just beware you can get a "pandoras box!" }hairout{
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks everyone I did mean £1000 for the woodburner :oops:

If DD is serious about an older house then I will drag BIL along as he has a good eye for such things and lots of experience.

I have already advised her against one older house as I felt it would be a money pit but there is one that judging by the rest of the houses on the row looks a good investment.

There are also a few modern ones in the running.

DD has finally realised that location is the key.

Sorry to bore you all with the details but I am sooo excited.
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Don't forget to factor in that it may need a rewire, between 2 and 3 thousand.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We've just bought a money pit. Victorian. It's absolutely true that every little job seems to uncover another (more costly) one.

I've been pricing woodburners. Our chap says that because the chimney and flue is OK we can get the model we want and it will cost about £500, plus £100 for installation which is quite simple as it is replacing an existing wb that hasn't been used for years. A flue liner, he said, for our two storey house, would be a further £250.

OH is currently doing the re-wire. Materials only, thank goodness, but 2weeks' lost wages.

Our central heating is costing £2500 and that's only for a new boiler and replacing some pipework.

Hope this helps a bit.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Steve and BMP.

Crossing fingers that something positive will be happening in next day or so so I will my trap shut until then.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've just been digging out paperwork for our stove installation for our buyers. The work consisted of some repair work on the chimney, lining, knocking out the fireplace, supplying and fitting the stove, hearth and surround. It came to just under £1000 - hope that helps.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.