renovating outdoor furniture

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

renovating outdoor furniture

Post by bmpsands »

In the overgrown garden of our new house I've found a round wooden table and 4 matching chairs. They appear sturdy and I really like the design. They've obviously stood outside for years and although the wood doesn't feel soft or splintery it does have a damp feel as though there might be the start of something growing on the surface. They look very dirty. Here's the question. Can I smarten them up and make them usable without spending £££s and hours?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Sara

Re: renovating outdoor furniture

Post by Sara »

Hi :-D

Im not sure if its possible or the right way to do it but i would be tempted to use a pressure washer on them to get the dirt off and then lightly sand and use an outside furniture varnish thingy.... We have just done all of our garden furniture this way and its come up lovely, although it is always strored under cover in the winter.. )t'

Good luck )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I would want to be sure that I wasn't sealing any damp in with the varnish.

Maybe use a paint stripper (hot air thing) to help it dry but carefully to avoid scorching. Then some sort of oil or varnish to keep the damp out.
How about asking in B&Q? They are full of useful tips (and things to sell - but I think they know what would work)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

The pressure washer would be fine to use, if it doesnt get everything of its a case of a bit of elbow grease with wire wool and maybe a mild solution of bleach. (wear gloves) )t'
Using sandpaper before its completely dried out will be a waste of time.
To dry them I would put them out on a sunny day and lift them in when its raining. A sunny windy day would be ideal, although the way our weather is at the minute it could take years to dry them. }hairout{
As for the new finish there are many products out there just for garden furniture, I would advise against the cheeper fence paints etc though. Go with a well known product and it will last much longer.
Good luck,
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Try to find out what wood it's made of, my guess would probably be teak!, if it is, then I would treat it with teak oil, after it's been cleaned and sanded, this will feed and nourish the wood and help combat mildew and algae )t' .
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks to all for the good advice. As you say, drying them out is likely to be the big issue. Once the garage is built I'll have somewhere to put them out of the weather and as we have open fields at the back of us and are on a slight hill I think drying might just be easier than I think. Always assuming that we get some summer eventually.

Next time I'm out I'll take the before photos and then, in the fullness of time, might post some after ones.

Thanks again. What a fabulous site this is.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

)t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]