Painting a wooden rocking chair..

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Painting a wooden rocking chair..

Post by Scooby88 »

Hi i wondered if anyone could help. I recently bought a second hand wooden rocking chair in preperation for my 1st child's nursery. It is pine and I am looking to paint it white, kind of shabby chic style. The thing is I have no clue as to what paint I am supposed to use? Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance :)
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Painting a wooden rocking chair..

Post by jannie »

I bought a fab paint from Ma Larkins shop called Annie Sloanes Chalk paint .. you can paint over any surface including waxed, painted or varnished .. so no need to strip first. )t'

I painted mine whilst Sunny Clucker was her .. hence she's in the photos :-D

You can paint another colour underneath then lightly sand back after the top coat to get a distressed finish, then finish it with a coat of wax .. so you can use it for outdoors as well )t'
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Thats great! Thank you so much! How much was the paint if you dont mind me asking? That is the exact look I am going for. I have looked on ebay but some are quite pricey. I picked the chair up for £30, and its very big and sturdy so a really good buy. Thanks again for the reply, very helful indeed :) x
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

The paint was £17 and the wax was £8 .. it goes a really long way though and I have enough left to paint some garden furniture too )t'

Here' s a link to Ma Larkins shop .. a lovely place to visit, if your near, as Ma is very talented at furniture restoration )t'

http://makingthebest.co.uk/epages/95000 ... Categories"

If you g@@gle Annie Sloan there are lots of places to buy if you can't get to Ma's. )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Another convert to chalk paints. I bought my first lot of paints from Patricia's shop - Making the Best - as mentioned above. I have a number of colours and they are ALL fab!!!! The great thing about these paints is that prior to using them I would spend ages prepping a piece of furniture - which the chalk paints you just chuck it on, no need to sand, etc.

If Patricia's shop is out of the way for you she does a delivery service, also there are a number of suppliers throughout the country, so if you are unable to get to Patricias beautiful shop you will find another way of getting some of the paint.

The paint does go a long way and you don't need to worry if you leave lid off, you can add a bit of water to it. Paint brushes have been left with paint on them and I've cleaned them no problem at all - even after they have gone rock hard.

As well as using on wood, I've used on plastic and metal, have painted terracotta garden pots with it as well, which look great. Honestly I should be on commission for praising this paint sooooo much :-D
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

thank you :) I have found a shop in Chester which sells it, and a friend at work will collect for me this week. Thanks again! )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

I was going to say exactly the same, shame you can't get to Ma's shop, she would have made you very welcome {hug}
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Might be an idea to check that there are no loose joints that may require reglueing, before starting to paint! )t' ..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That chair looks brilliant. )t' I will remember that paint too, thanks for this thread.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

I thought I would post some pics of the rocking chair now It has been finished. Thank you so much for the advice. Im really pleased with the finished product!

Before

During

After

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That looks absolutely brilliant, Scooby, well done you. )t'

This may seem a dumb ass question, but here goes - can you use this paint on a wicker chair does anyone know?
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

What a great job you've done )t'
Julie x
manda

Post by manda »

Scooby it's looking gorgeous as is your bump..hope you're feeling OK :-D {hug&kiss}

Gwenoakes wrote:This may seem a dumb ass question, but here goes - can you use this paint on a wicker chair does anyone know?

I don't know Gwen but you could always email Ma and see if she knows Here
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for that, Manda, will have a look later and poss email her.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I've painted a wicker plant box, with no problems. Only concern I would have is that a wicker chair does have a little bit of give so would be worried to say go ahead and paint a wicker chair. I am sure Patricia would be able to answer this question, if she cannot I know she would speak to Annie for you and she would DEFINITELY know (as she created the paints in the first place) )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/