Wish I hadn't started!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Wish I hadn't started!

Post by silverback »

As Tam said, use a sealer before painting the ceiling, this will stop any stained patches bleeding through the paint. I use PVA adhesive diluted in water (usually 4 parts water, to 1 part PVA), then paint that over the ceiling or wall before painting on the emulsion, this will seal any flakey/powdery residue from the old paint, and give you a good surface for the paint to adhere to! )t' )t' ..

>gl<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Decorating dosen't arf get hard as you get older - Eck and I found that out this week. The downstairs loo is not exactly large and you have to suck your tummy in and bend yourself double in places to reach all the bits that you would think are hidden but no they are not. Ecks covered in bruises. {rofwl} . Ceilings are a nightmare as we both have wonky necks and all that holding your head at a funny angle and climbing up and down off steps and moving them around does not make for happy bunnies. Think we all need to invest in signs to put at the front door - 6" red letters that read - you have come to visit me not the house !
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, it took me nearly 3 hours just to put my 2 small shelves of books into boxes this morning. 3 enormous boxes filled to overflowing to be precise. Plus 3 carrier bags plus a sofa full. }hairout{ How can that happen? :?

I got the ladders out of the shed, sorted out the sugar soap and found a bucket and sponge and while I was doing that also found some more sugar soap so shouldn't have bought any :?

It seemed to take me an age to get everything together and myself changed into decorating clothes to start washing the ceiling down again, but it happened and and I have just finished.

Now the whole room looks fire damaged >dowhat<

And like it has been ransacked. {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Fellsider
Lively Laner

Post by Fellsider »

Those big yellow sponges you use for cleaning cars are also brilliant on walls and ceilings. They seem to really lift the dirt and give a much more even effect.
Ruled by Henry, the miniature serama cockerel who thinks he is 10 feet tall.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

My diy jobs always seem to spend a long time in the first phase of 'looking worse before it looks better' as well Helen!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ha ha ha! Am feeling a bit more positive now as have done one coat on the ceiling and down to the picture rail. However, I did fall backwards off the steps at one point, and have balanced on the sofa, piano..... :oops:

I cannot believe how much chaos I have created! The shelves were only thing I cleared in the end, as it took so long.

If you are of a nervous dispositon, or a bit OCD about tidiness, look away now! {rofwl}

These were taken just now - ceiling looking a bit better! The books came off the shelves above the TV

Ummm.......the rest of it

Bailey can't look {rofwl}

Back to it in the morning!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Apart from the complete and utter chaos it looks good )grin2(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

)grin2( It did occur to me that there can't be many people who could decorate a room with so much in it. {rofwl}
Helen xx

pavel131
Lively Laner

Post by pavel131 »

Seriously
It is worth buying a good brand paint, i.e. Crown or Dulux. I know it is much more expensive, but it is worth it in the long run.
My other half went out and bought one coat gloss finish. Wrong move; I had to apply it thicker to get it to cover- result, it took over two weeks to dry properly.
Its false economy to by B&Q, Homebase cheap brands. They are a thinner paint and take 1-2-3 coats to cover.
I am an Dyslexic agnostic insomniac. I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I so agree. I learned my lesson as a young woman, but have seen many others make the same mistake over the years and I only ever buy branded paint.
Helen xx

Sara

Post by Sara »

I think that looks great already Helen, You can see the difference )t'

Would you like to come and do mine after? {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ah, sorry Sara. Will be busy decorating the rest of my house. )grin2(

Well, the spare bedroom, anyway
Helen xx

Sara

Post by Sara »

)gr: )gr:

Oh well, I will have to bribe some more customers from the bar then )grin2(
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That looks real good Helen, well done that woman! )t' )t' That is a fab piccie of Bailey too. {rofwl}

When the decorating is done it will probably take you the rest of the year to sort out everything else. Look at it this way though, you can have a de-clutter at the same time. )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I really would like to declutter - in fact have done some. )t' Well, a little

This morning it doesn't look to bad (aside from splodges of paint all over the carpet }hairout{ ). I am going to walk Bailey, then do another coat on the ceiling, which should do it I hope. Then tomorrow start on the woodwork, second coat on saturday. On monday I shall begin the walls )c(

I am just considering the logistics of gloss paint drying and Bailey >dowhat< That should be interesting.
Helen xx