Anyone put up a summer house

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
zedhead
Lively Laner

Anyone put up a summer house

Post by zedhead »

I have been asked to help out on putting up a summer house (the slot together type) its about 3m square with one corner cut off (if you know what I mean) and I wondered if anyone here has done similar and how long it took. It is 28mm thick t&g pine with a felt roof if that helps

Thanks for looking

Barry
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Anyone put up a summer house

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry I cant help, but I am sure someone will come along shortly who can help you.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I haven't built a summer house as such but I have built many timber buildings.
First thing is the foundation/base, if its already in place is it tight up against a perimeter fence/wall if so do you have enough room to work behind it?
If so before you even start with any wood work take a good long look at the plans or instructions, I am assuming its a kit and you will have to build the frame then clad it.
Depending on how good the plans/intructions are they will probably give the lengths of various timbers I would check them, some of these kits are good and some not so good.
When you get to the building stage lay out your first few stages and get an idea of how they go together then make a start. Take your time and be methodical in your aproach.
If your not familiar with this type of work dont rush it, its easy to make mistakes (I have the T shirt) :-D
On a job like this many hands can make light work but be aware people can interpret a set of instructions differently.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

I built my workshop from scratch, timber framed, ship lapped with a tiled roof, but totally agree with Al, plan the job, make sure you site the summer house where it can be maintained, make sure you read and understand the instructions, and make sure you have all the parts to complete the job! )t' .

>gl< Look forward to seeing the photos...
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.