Old table and chairs found!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
webbiebrood
Learner Laner

Old table and chairs found!

Post by webbiebrood »

I've always wanted a real rustic style table and chairs in my kitchen, and exploring our old farm the other day (the last owner left three enormous green houses full of amongst other things, olive trees, grape vines, fig trees and random bits of wood/junk) I found nestling right at the back an old solid wood table, and two very solid chairs, peeling paint and a bit mossy, but solid nonetheless! Me and my mother (who really is very fit for her 65 years!) dragged the haul back to the house and stood pondering on what to do with it! I need to do some research but has anyone got any ideas? +f+ pretty please? )w(
One Horse, One Pony, Seven Hens, One cockerel, One Duck, Three Rabbits, and Three Dogs. So far....
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Old table and chairs found!

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

You need to take some pictures!!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Depends on what you want to do!, are you talking french rustic chabby chic, or just traditional farmhouse?, as LBF says, post some pictures! )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Photos needed. What condition are they in?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
webbiebrood
Learner Laner

Post by webbiebrood »

Sorry, it's been manic today with one thing and another, I did take pics but have only just come in from feeding the horses, so here it is...and yes, I realise it looks like a paste table but the wood really is very solid...

Have started sanding it with an electric sander already and its coming up lovely, the chairs are lovely wood under that flaky paint. I love that blue colour so am thinking I might restore it to that? Bought some blue woodstain today because I'd quite like to see the grain though it, tried a patch and it looks lovely, might tile the centre in cream tiles but if I do that I think I may need to replace the legs (Pallet wood?) because of the weight...

(LOVE things like this, have already bought some cath kidston style blues/pinks fabric from ebay to do seat pads! Sad or what?!)
One Horse, One Pony, Seven Hens, One cockerel, One Duck, Three Rabbits, and Three Dogs. So far....
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Sounds like a great project to me. Restoring or recycling furniture is really rewarding, looking forward to hearing how it goes :-D
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi There,
I would do as you are doing and sand it down to bare wood, then I would treat it with a woodworm treatment )t' . Seeing as it has been stored in a barn for some time, you don't want to be bringing into the house if it's got woodworm {warn} .
Check all joints and hinges to make sure they are secure and solid, once the woodworm treatment dries out, then paint it the colour of your choice, using a good quality wood paint, with a light sand between coats, if needed! )t' ..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
webbiebrood
Learner Laner

Post by webbiebrood »

What fab advice (and encouragement, :-D )
Will definitely get the woodworm treatment, thanks! Didn't even cross my mind, glad I posted now )w(