Pallets - they don't die easily!!!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
new2chooks
Learner Laner

Pallets - they don't die easily!!!

Post by new2chooks »

Just did my first pallet project, built a rude* day shelter for the chooks from a left over pallet and some other scraps (I'll post a pic once I get the hang of it!!).

One thing I'll say is the pallet didn't break up without a fight! Took a couple of chunks out of me whilst I was disassembling it, and then about a third of it broke into firewood in the process!! Certainly worked up a sweat (and a temper!). There's still two edges to break up, when I summon up the courage to rejoin battle. )ang

Yikes.

Mark

* as in 'rustic, primitive or homely', not 'disrespectful or uncouth'!!
Mark

My over-caffeinated, mid-life ramblings:- http://poultryinvestment.blogspot.co.uk/

"I used to be young and foolish. I'm older now"
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Re: Pallets - they don't die easily!!!

Post by Steve valentine »

I went to the horsey place near me today for guinea pig food and sawdust, noticed some pallets outside, asked if they were surplus, yes was the answer!

Managed to get three in the back of the car, no idea what I'll use them for yet, I'll just store the planks in my garage to I find a project.

Sometimes they just don't want to come apart, do they?
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
new2chooks
Learner Laner

Post by new2chooks »

The actual shelter...

but note the chooks appear to be keeping their distance!!!
Mark

My over-caffeinated, mid-life ramblings:- http://poultryinvestment.blogspot.co.uk/

"I used to be young and foolish. I'm older now"
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Looks good mark )t' my chooks never go near anything new in their run off the first few hours, mistrusting little madams. Don't worry it'll soon be covered in poo! {rofwl}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Nice one Mark )t' , hope your run has a roof!, otherwise your girls will be up on that table and over the fence! yike*
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
fabdavee
Learner Laner

Post by fabdavee »

Hi, I managed to get hold of a couple of pallets the other day and mad a fence and gate to stop the chooks coming up the side of the house to the kitchen, as it also a way to the road. The neighbour also made a fence between us and gate out of pallets. Dave in Caerphilly )piicy2012-09-15 09.27.59.jpg( 2012-09-15 09.27.59.jpg
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome to the Lane, Dave.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

Hi Dave and welcome from me too...I can't see your pictures..I think you've got some of the url missing so they're not able to be viewed.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jaynetheweed
Learner Laner

Post by jaynetheweed »

)t'
I love pallets. They provide such a challenge to me.....what to do next. I've had loads over the years. Some break too easily and some too tough to take apart - we've tried (my son and I) to perfect the art of cracking them - jumping on them, sawing, using an old chisel to cut through the nails (a bolster would be better but wont fit in the gap sometimes) We've put blocks in between the gaps and hit them with hammers. There are video's on you tube that show you how to take pallets apart - they look so easy. I've got a crowbar especially for the job now.....and we're quick picky about the sort we bring home....ours now come from engineering firms - they are glad to get rid and we are only to happy to oblige, since they are for heavy duty use, the wood is sometimes 4" x 4" and always good quality.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nice one Mark.

You're right about they don't give up easily! The good news is that whatever's left over there's a use for even if it's just getting the bonfire going a bit better!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
fabdavee
Learner Laner

Post by fabdavee »

Hi Richard I managed to build a fence and gate from and old pallet to go across my path along the side of my house. I would submit a photo but cant get to do so when I press post a pic it just shows picy in brackets on my posting.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Davee

You'll need a photobucket account or similar as we can't post photo's straight on to forum from our computer.

There's a thread here that explains how to do it - it's not that hard, even I have managed it and I'm a total noob when it comes to computers )t'
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12564
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
fabdavee
Learner Laner

Post by fabdavee »

Here's the photo of my pallet fence and gate. Image
zedhead
Lively Laner

Post by zedhead »

About once every six weeks my neighbor and I get a lorry load of pallets delivered, they are mostly damaged ones and it takes about four or five hours to turn them into six or eight bulk builders bags of heating and in his case hot water.
The company that deliver them would have to pay to get rid of them if we didn't do them a favor )t' mad world ain't it.

We have a system for cutting them up and an area big enough to do it in but it still amazes me that other people can't find a use for them.
Barry.

I had the day off when we did English at school, so apologize for my spelling and punctuation.
alsationsam
Learner Laner

Post by alsationsam »

I would love to have a lorry load of pallets delivered for free. Oh the uses I can come up with let alone the free fuel.
Think I will have to look into this.