Pallet Question

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Pallet Question

Post by Richard »

Hi

I have access to a lot of Pallets, some I'm sawing up and using as kindling, but there's loads more if I need it.

Anyway, has anyone tried using them for simple decking as in a raised footpath or something of the like.

I'm thinking of making my journey from the back door to the shed a little more damp free in my slippers!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Re: Pallet Question

Post by Americanlady »

I've noticed that my wooden deck is a little slippery when wet. What would you do to keep the surface of your walkway less slippery during wet weather.
manda

Post by manda »

You can get anti slip tape that you can put down American Lady so you could cut a small strip to use as a walk way during the wet weather which wouldn't be slippery.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Hi Richard
AH............great minds think alike !!!!!!!!!!!!! I used a pallet to build a small raised footpath from our "patio" to the compost bin. However I haven't used it much as Annie insists on using it as storage space for bags of chicken poo

>shrug<

Eck )bg(
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

I was thinking of using pallets to make a walkway through the Walk-in-Run/mud bath. :-D
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

we've done that Saz and found it's not too bad even wothout a safety net, and way better than just the mud!
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Richard.
If you have enough pallets and time you could use the boards on edge across the path. It would make the path building a lot more time consuming but the surface would be less slippy and harder wearing. Also if the boards are all slighty different lengths the edge of the path would look nicer.
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks for the replies.

It's two places really; one from the back door to the old shed (with walls knocked out to make a kind of Summerhouse 'thing') and from the other side of it through to my shed, all in all about 20 feet worth I guess.

At present I have an occasional broken slab, suitably acquired from various sources but when it rains and it's dark, it's a couple of extended steps hoping your feet hit the right spot, or you're wet!!

I may go for more a platform outside the shed.

A photo would be good freeranger if you have one.

Cheers, Richard )t' )t'

PS. Just posted at the same time Al, good idea, thanks
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

hi

l,ve made walk ways up to chooks with pallet planks, to stop them being slippery when wet and green, l,ve stapeled old chicken wirer all the way along them, it acts like grip-treads
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
Richard

Post by Richard »

Very good idea Angie )t' )t' )t'
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I think I will look into the anti-slip tape tomorrow. Thanks, Manda.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

I use them as portable duckboards all over the plot.I wouldn't want to make them too wide though! :?
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They look really good, Mallard.

)ot: How is Mr Hedgehog, still doing well I hope?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Excellent Mallard, as always Mate.

Richard )t' )t'
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Post by Don Roberto »

Hi Richard, a while back I was a member of a fly fishing club, and all our fishing platforms were over deep water (10 ft+). In autumn and winter the wood got very green and slippery, we were very lucky that nobody actually fell into the water, but we did have an elderly member fall on the platform. Our chairman at the time used to be an allotment owner and had access to chicken wire (cheap diamond pattern stuff) he covered all of the platforms with it and we never had any problems after that, even in frosty weather. Hope this helps. Cheerio me deario....... )wav(
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.