blackmould

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

blackmould

Post by bmpsands »

For the first time ever, one of our flats has developed a black mould problem. I've always thought that adequate ventilation and decent heating would prevent this issue and have told the tenant that she must adhere to the rules in the tenancy agreement.

However, she's got this stuff now and I don't know what to do to get rid of it.

Any ideas, Please??
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: blackmould

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

If it's not too bad at this stage, then the anti-mould spray in the green bottle (dettol I think) is good - we had a small area of black mould here when we moved in, but I zapped it with the spray (it took 3 applications), and it hasn't returned (I am an obsessive window-opener).
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I know HG do a mould spray that does a good job.
I think The Land of Lakes sell it.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you both. I think that one of these sprays and some stern words about drying clothes indoors and not opening windows might do the trick.

I've worried all night about this!

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

We have had the same problem with one of our tenants Bea .. we provide dehumidifiers in all our properties as we've found them invaluable in dealing with condensation and have never had a problem because of it.. till this particular tenant!!, she thinks they are a waste of time }hairout{
We have now notified her that the mould is unacceptable and preventable and that we will be entering the property in 1 month to rectify the problem. The cost of remedial work will be deducted from her bond as she is in breach of her contract ..hopefully that will be enough to ensure it doesn't happen again. )t'
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Bleach!.... )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

We have terrible mould in this rental (though the Estate Agents deny it) and its so bad that the engineers that installed the radiators said they couldn't put the silver backing on the wall as it wouldn't stick because its so mouldy.

We even get it on the uPVC frames on the windows! I make a milton spray and try and do it as often as I can, but its on my net curtains (which have been washed at 90 degrees numerous times) and touches anything that goes near the walls. {cry}
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks to everyone for their input. I've been round again today only to find that the tenant is still drying clothes indoors with the heating set on high and no windows open. She will be getting a dehumidifier and I've told her that as it runs on electricity it will be funded through her bill!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Why don't people open windows any more?!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Hi I used to work for a management agency renting all types of property we had no end of tenants who refused to open the windows when the dryer is on or after a hot bath, then moaned about the mould in fact a couple of them took us to court and won a compensation claim against us !!!!!!!!!!! the court took the view that as the owners we were responsible for it ? We managed to prove in one other case that it was the tenants tropical fish tank causing the problem and she lost the case. Just be carful as the laws around tenants is staked in there favour, and even with a legal tenancy drawn up by solicitors doesn't always save you.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I know what you mean about the legislation! I think that if I put dehumidifiers in they won't switch them on. OH is an electrician so I'll see if they can be hardwired and permanently on. It will run the tenants' bills up, but I need to do what I can to help them keep the flats OK>
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Before you do that ask the citizens advice burro if you would be liable for the extra electric used, as when we fitted one to dry out carpets after the tenant had flooded the living room we was told that we would have to reimburse them for the running cost although it was them that did it. we were told we still owned the carpet and as such were responsible for it ! crazy crazy world
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

I find it a bit scary that you are all talking about tenants the way you are and it opens up a whole new world to me as a tenant.

I have been a tenant for various landlords now for over 22 years and I am always treated with no respect at all and taken for a ride.

Out of the numerous flats and houses I have lived in, I think I have only twice been given my deposit back even though the reasons for keeping my deposit have always been false and the Landlords 'fault'... now I can see why.

I can only assume that one bad tenant labels the rest of us as being bad as well? Some of us are good tenants. I would love it if my Landlord provided me with dehumidifiers as we have a terrible mould problem here, even though we regularly have our windows open (even when its -3 like today) and the back door is open a lot when the children wrap up and play outside.

We sometimes dry clothes indoors, but always in the bathroom and the window is always open, yet the mould is terrible in our bedroom and the childrens bedroom and its all over the uPVC windows of all places! :?
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
Tony H
Lively Laner

Post by Tony H »

Sorry if I offended that wasn't my intention out of all the tenants that we managed property for some 400 plus I would say only 2% turned out to be bad the rest we had no problem with, the same goes for landlords unfortunately there are bad ones aswell, I was pointing out that some tenants know the law and use it to there full advantage. as for you not getting your deposit back you can take legal action against them to recover it the citizens advice burro will help with this as all landlords have to deposit it in a separate account. If it the council who pay your rent for you go and see them and they will withhold any future payments due to them {hug}
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

KnikittaI have had some wonderful tenants - and I'm very sorry if I sounded to be tarring everyone with the same brush. I'm venting my feelings and concerns on here because in almost 10 years of renting in a high-turnover area I've only had three problem tenants. Two of them were in the building when i bought it. The whole place was like a slum and I've struggled to get it up to the present standard. At my last inspection three weeks ago the EHO commended me on my commitment to being a good landlord. I'm inspected every 2 years and each time there are further recommendations. This year was additions to the fire and security system, changed extinguishers (the current ones were brand new 2 years ago) and a different type of lock on one door.

I would love a responsible tenant like you. In fact, I've got a couple and I treat them very well. If I cannot respond to a damage/fault report within a couple of days I always reduce the rent for the month by an appropriate amount. When I sacked the management company who were responsible for the flats for the 2 years that I was struggling with many personal problems I split the 1.5% saving with my tenants. Improvements are constantly made and my concern over fitting dehumidifiers was that they would run on the tenants' bills. The particular tenant who is causing me concern has now agreed to have a dehumidifier installed as she recognises the benefits.

Your deposit should always have been protected and therefore subject to arbitration in the event of a dispute. My tenancy agreement, possibly like yours, sets out what is and is not a cause for retaining all or part of the deposit and there are contact details if any tenant is unhappy.

It's my understanding that the landlord has an obligation to try to sort out any problems promptly and if he/she won't there are places that will help you.

My apologies again for any offence.