I want to drill holes in spoons

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I want to drill holes in spoons

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

(and forks actually).

I want to make some hooks for the kitchen out of bent cutlery. I have the cutlery, I've sorted the bending part, now I just need to fix them to a piece of wood.

So - what kind of drill bit do I need to use?

Or ... as some of the spoon handles are quite ornate, and might be spoiled by drilling, would some kind of adhesive work? They don't need to hold anything very heavy (they would un-bend) - it'll be aprons and suchlike.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Re: I want to drill holes in spoons

Post by HensAloud »

Oooooo now I want to drill some holes in spoons too )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

If they are proper stainless you will need a cobalt drill, but most aren’t so a normal drill bit will suffice. Araldite might well glue them up if you don’t want to drill.

Lots of spoon drilling going on.... wonder why am I feeling slightly unconfortable now... ?
Bah Humbug
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Took me a while to work out why you were uncomfortable SSpoon ! {rofwl}
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

{rofwl}
I'm not sure you'd make a very good hook SS - I suspect you'd move your arms and legs & drop my tea-towels on the floor.

Thank you for the advice :-D I'll try using araldite on a couple and see how I get on. I managed to bend them by heating them in boiling water & wearing rubber gloves, so it sounds as though a normal drill bit will be OK. I think a couple might be silver.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Don't be so cutleryist LBF drill some forks too.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

I am - I said in my original post that I was drilling forks too :-D - so that I can do this :-D
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

That's such a great idea :-D

Photo's when done please )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Looks fab, can't it to see the pics
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

What a great idea )t' looking forward to seeing the end result
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Great idea. )t' How about these then? I luuuurve the curly ones near the bottom!
http://www.repiny.com/pin-549.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

They're fab - a bit beyond my current Yuri Geller abilities though I think. Once you start looking there are lots of ideas around.
My spoons are waiting just the right chopping board or bread board to turn up in a car boot sale or charity shop >fi<
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

tortzblue wrote:Great idea. )t' How about these then? I luuuurve the curly ones near the bottom!
http://www.repiny.com/pin-549.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I absolutely love these, and would love to have a go but haven't found any nice vintage cutlery yet.