gorgeous but damaged table

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

gorgeous but damaged table

Post by bmpsands »

I've bought this second hand table and 6 chairs. The chairs are wonderful and most of the table top is. However, there is an area where the varnish, or whatever protective layer is on old tables, seems to have either melted or been worn away. It looked as though something had been spilled and made some splashes.

We are so nervous about spoiling the rest of the thing that we don't quite know what to do. If we must, we'll live with it as it is but I thought that someone with knowledge would be able to advise us.

The table is solid wood - oak we think.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: gorgeous but damaged table

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Providing it is not veneered and is solid wood then there should be no problem in sanding it back to bare wood and refinishing it.
If it is a varnish coating then sanding will be easy but if a wax or french polish finish you will probably need to remove it with a wax stripper before sanding.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks Dom

It is varnish. We thought that sanding it back was an option, but we'll go only very carefully.

Possibly the refinishing is the thing that scares me most. Must it be varnished or can we just wax it? I want the most natural look possible but obviously some sort of protection will be required.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

You can wax it but it just takes longer to get a good finish than varnish and you have to be aware that any heat/hot liquid can damage the finish quite easily leaving ring marks etc.
If you wax it just be aware and make sure no cups of hot beverage/dishes are put on it without a place mat/coaster being used.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Varnish then - my family aren't that trustworthy.

Thanks again.

Bea