paint brands - price difference

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Mo
Legendary Laner

paint brands - price difference

Post by Mo »

I've just bought Dulux emulsion and then realised that it is far dearer than other brands.
Why. Is it twice as good as Crown?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: paint brands - price difference

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Never having used paints from the economy end of the paint range I couldn't tell you what, if any, difference there is.
Dom

:-D
Ali Woks My World
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hello Mo

I make about 60% of my meagre income from painting and decorating so I guess I could be called pro.

Paint quality is not very well related to cost. As always, it is more related to reputation and their costs in national advertising.

What sort of paint are you talking about - gloss, satinwood, emulsion etc.

If it is emulsion, I don't care much for either Dulux or Crown. If you want white emulsion for ceilings find a Dulux Decorators centre (or trade shop in the industrial area) and buy their Glidden Trade emulsion - about £16 for 10 litres. It also comes in magnolia at the same price and gardenia for a little more. That is the extent of the range. I only paint empty rental properties and this is what the landlords want.

Wickes own Trade emulsion used to be brilliant but they moved production to Germany and is now awful - I got head office to admit this but haven't tried it again as Glidden is fine. When you get into mixed colours then costs go through the roof. If you can find a Wickes pre-mixed colour that suits it is pretty good.

Just don't but any DIY stores own brands - truly awful. What's the point of saving £10 when you need 3 extra coats?

For undercoat and gloss, especially outside, Dulux is the best on the market. Dulux and Glidden are just trade names for Akzonobel - ICI sold Dulux some years ago.

Trade paint doesn't mean cheap paint, it means better paint. Just comes in bigger buckets, smaller range of colours and doesn't like cheap nasty paint brushes and rollers.

Hope this helps. pm me anytime

Cheers Mike
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That is incredible - the dulux emulsion was nearly £30 for 5 litres or £18 for 2.5. So I got 3 for 2 of the 2.5l in case 5l wasn't enough. I didn't know 'trade' was different. I'll know next time. Just redoing a small (12x12') room magnolia again.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Take it all back and get a bucket of Glidden for £16 instead of nearly £60?

Another thing is don't use silk unless your walls are perfectly flat - it magnifies every slightest defect whereas matt hides them.

Also use a big brush - 3 inches. If you go to Wickes you'll see a brush range there with a natural wood unvarnished handle and man made 'bristles' They are about £6 but will last a lifetime. Don't use those little roller sets comprising a flat tray and roller - get a paint 'scuttle' which is a large rectangular bucket and invest in a proper wool roller and pole. 5 times quicker and much better finish. Wash them properly afterwards and they'll last a lifetime as I say - mine still going strong since 1999. Spin the roller to bring the pile back up and hang on the washing line to dry, don't let it flatten on a surface.

Cheers

Mike
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks for the advice Mike )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx