Help to remove oil from driveway.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Help to remove oil from driveway.

Post by silverback »

My vehicle developed an oil leak staining our concrete driveway }hairout{ , Jan is not a happy bunny! {mr.angry} , I have soaked up the excess oil with sand, any tips on how I can remove the large black stain from the concrete (diesel engine oil!) yike*
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Help to remove oil from driveway.

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Somewhere in one of my sheds I have a container of stuff given to me by a bloke who works in a refinery that does the job on any type of oil stain. I will try and find it and let you know the name of it.
I know that aerosol type carb cleaner and a scrubbing brush does a pretty good job as well.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
sparky
Learner Laner

Post by sparky »

I used a dual approach, firstly I sprayed carb cleaner on to get it moving (not cheap but did the trick) then using a stiff brush, like a garden brush, I worked in loads of Swarfega oil and grease remover (from T**lstati*n just under £9 for 5 litres) and then used the power washer on it. After a couple of goes it was clean again but I suppose it also depends on how much oil and how porus your driveway is. Hope this helps
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Thanks Dom & Sparky, I will give your suggestions a go!, and would very much appreciate if you could find the name of that product Dom )t' )t'
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I had a look in my workshop but I think I moved it to my shed which I have filled to bursting with stuff from the workshop while I remodel it. Needless to say the shelving unit I have put it on is furthest away from the doors and I can't get anywhere near it. I did try binoculars but it isn't fr enough away for them to be in focus }hairout{
I will see if I can wiggle my way there tomorrow, so if you don't hear from me I will be the one buried in an avalanche of cack :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Dean H
Lively Laner

Post by Dean H »

A 'Poultice' of sawdust and cellulose thinners under a piece of plastic sheet apparently works well, I believe you have to leave it on the stain for a few hours.
Dean.
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

bleach
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Thanks Maggie & Dean, will give your suggestions a go, as the stain is still there! :oops:
entrus
Lively Laner

Post by entrus »

Coca Cola is still the best for the job, but it must be the genuine article. Dump a pile of sawdust on the stain and top up with Coke, leave for a few hours and then wash off with water.
[center][/center]Visit us at the the Living Well On A Shoestring Blog at http://tinyurl.com/a5hdujt Helping you live better on less!