Pallet collars...

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Pallet collars...

Post by Sejjie70 »

Want to have some raised beds in the fruit/veg garden, mainly so the children can have their own area to grow some of their own things (did have normal beds for them in the previous veg garden but they kept trying to extend them so they'd have the biggest & it caused all sorts of squabbles }hairout{ {mr.angry} ). While having a look at various beds for ideas I came across a few sellers on fleaBay selling off pallet collars to use as raised beds. Was wondering if anyone here had used them as raised beds & how good/bad they were. The main good points from my point of view is that I can get hold of them for nothing & they're the ideal size for both the children & for my relatively small veg garden.
Sarah.
Mum to 1 hubby, 4 children, 3 Springer Spaniels (Max, Millie & Buttons), 2 cats (Sox & Frankie), 2 rabbits (Crunchie & Munchie), 12 chickens (Target, Speckle, Barbara, Margot, EggieII, Gomez, Sparkle, Glitter, Wednesday & Isabel), 3 geese (Lister, Smeg & Camille) & 4 ducks (Soup, Anya, Marble & Vindaloo).
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Pallet collars...

Post by Mo »

If they're free and the right size why not try them.

What is a pallet collar?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Post by Sejjie70 »

Mo wrote:What is a pallet collar?

Not sure, but they have 4 sides, seem to be hinged at the corners & seem to be about as deep as some of the cheaper raised beds you can buy >shrug< {rofwl}
Sarah.
Mum to 1 hubby, 4 children, 3 Springer Spaniels (Max, Millie & Buttons), 2 cats (Sox & Frankie), 2 rabbits (Crunchie & Munchie), 12 chickens (Target, Speckle, Barbara, Margot, EggieII, Gomez, Sparkle, Glitter, Wednesday & Isabel), 3 geese (Lister, Smeg & Camille) & 4 ducks (Soup, Anya, Marble & Vindaloo).
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Mo wrote:What is a pallet collar?

It's very simple.
They are collars for pallets so that they can wear a tie for special occasions.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

A pallet collar is as Sejjie descriped and they sit on a pallet to turn it into a box more collars can be stacked on top to make the box deeper.

Sejjie, most of the collars we used when I worked in the factory were made of plywood so would probably need a good few coats of something to prevent them rotting.
I often looked at them at work and saw "raised beds". )t' :-D
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Sejjie70
Legendary Laner

Post by Sejjie70 »

Thanks for that Al. Have never seen them in the flesh (so to speak) so wasn't sure about the wood. Have a few tins of C*prinol Sh*des with not enough left in them for the hen houses & rabbit hutch, so I can use them up at last.
Sarah.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'd be interested to know how you get on Sejjie

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome