Smelly new wardrobe!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Smelly new wardrobe!

Post by jemberelli »

A couple of months ago we bought 2 wardrobes and a chest of drawers, all the same range. They are made from pine (unvarnished) and so far only one wardrobe has been put together! The problem we have is that the wood smells so much that all of my clothes that are kept on the shelving side absolutely reek! It is not a nice new wood smell but a very acrid smell that is very unpleasant. Having researched online a bit I think I have established that the way to go is to paint the inside with polyuerthane varnish. Does anyone know if this is the best thing to do and, if so, whether it should be oil or water based? Thanks in advance lovely Laners )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Smelly new wardrobe!

Post by Mo »

But Jem doesn't
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Sorry Mo, tested out 'I like' smiley and forgot to delete >dum<

I have now
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well now you've deleted you've made nonsense of my post - perhaps you should delete that too. (and this one!)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi Jem, I would suspect it could be some form of preservative that's causing the smell, if it's been treated!, has the other units got this smell?, what is the smell like?, were the units boxed and packaged when delivered?. I guess a good quality polyurethane varnish would seal the wood, but may lock the smell in!, what about leaving it to air for a while to see if the smell dissipates!!..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks SB, the wardrobe was boxed & well packaged. It has been built & in use for a couple of months with the room being well ventilated due to the nice weather. Wardrobe 2 is unpacked and in bits in the spare room - will have to do a smell test to see if it is as bad! The drawers are still in the box so I guess I should unpack & air them. The smell is difficult to describe - slightly woody but very acrid and makes my clothes smell so bad that hubby can smell them when I walk past! It's not a musty smell.

I did wonder about the varnish locking the smell in - my only other idea was to look into making some scented drawer liners to see if that helped. Need to do something, I have spent all day washing & drying the clothes that were shelved and have nowhere to put them!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Could you ask the people you bought the units from what they can recommend? I mean, if they smell that bad they must have had some questions about this problem and maybe could come up with some easy/cheap answers.

Good luck.