Finally starting to break the back of this project!!

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
juilly
Lively Laner

Finally starting to break the back of this project!!

Post by juilly »

Well its been 7 long months since me and the OH tentatively moved up to the second rung of the housing ladder buying a house that we could fill with babies and a garden we could fill with chickens, veggies and all things lovely!

Originally we thought - no worries we'll be in by Christmas, Christmas drifted to the new year and the new year progressed through from the beginning of summer to the end of summer but I finally feel like we are getting there.

Its been slow and really hard work (especially with us both working full time) but I'm feeling pretty proud with our efforts.

As of this moment four bedrooms have been stripped, filled, coved and painted, two bathrooms have been ripped out, re-plastered and re-tiled with new (to us) suites replaced in each, three floors of hallway have been stripped along with associated woodwork and has been undercoated. The garden has been cut right back and the decking has been power-washed and the fences have been re-painted. Its also had a healthy dose of new grass seed to help spruce it up a bit!

Jobs left to do though:
Living room/lounge to be striped and re-painted, kitchen to be taken out, painted and then the units needs to be resalvaged, conservatory painted and all of downstairs re floored.

All I can say is thank goodness for ebay, gumtree and youtube (as well as my Grandma for her invaluable 10% Wednesday trips to B&Q) which have meant that the vast majority of the work we have done has been a fraction of the price using second hand or salvaged bits and by using youtube videos to teach us how to do all the jobs as we go!

Feeling pretty proud!!

:-D
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
manda

Re: Finally starting to break the back of this project!!

Post by manda »

Phew ..I feel tired just reading it ...hard work but definitely worth it.

Only one question ....before and after pics )piicy( )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

Sorry I did ramble on a bit!!!

I will post pics when its all finished... I'm pretty gutted that a lot of the rooms we didn't photo before we started but we have the estate agent photos from when we bought it!

Just can't wait to move in!!!
proud new mummy to Dolly, Molly, Hetty, Betty and Holly (who accidentally jumped into the box!) :)
manda

Post by manda »

No you didn't ramble ...I write like I think (which I'm sure for some must be scary!!) so it's nice to read something when you feel like you're having a conversation with the person not just reading something if you see what I mean....

Estate Agents photo's will be good at least you have that point of reference....look forward to seeing them )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gosh, I remember that (not so drastic) from 40 years ago.
We moved in with 2 toddlers and decorated as we went. I was a stay at home Mum and set to work digging a veg plot. OH did most of the decorating. The dining room/playroom was supposed to be a job for the May Day bank holiday weekend. A quick wash down and coat of magnolia. Then OH decided the mantelpiece had holes in (woodworm? dartholes?) and removed it. The fireplace fell out. "never liked it, lets replace it". Taking out the fireplace left a hole in the old tatty woodblock floor - he never liked that either so out it came. It was the end of May (late Spring Bank holiday) by the time he spread the foul smelling glue on the floor to stick down the cushioned vinyl. There were cockchaffers flying and they kept landing upside down in the glue and getting stuck, a job to remove them or a lump under the vinyl.
That might have been the second year - the first year he removed and replaced most of the windows, and took out all the course of bricks above the damp course (a few at a time!) to put a new one in.

Well done. You're right to feel proud of yourselves.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

Mo wrote:Then OH decided the mantelpiece had holes in (woodworm? dartholes?) and removed it. The fireplace fell out. "never liked it, lets replace it". Taking out the fireplace left a hole in the old tatty woodblock floor - he never liked that either so out it came.

{rofwl} this is totally my life right now!!!!!
juilly
Lively Laner

Post by juilly »

Just found this thread and its two months on and the real progress we've made is:

1. the hallway is now finished, all the walls, woodwork, everything (except skirting)
2. the lounge and dinning room is stripped - nearly
3. THE CHICKENS HAVE ARRIVED!!
4. We have set a moving in date... roll on 18th September, exactly 1 year to the year
we got the keys!

)c(
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Feeling very impressed. We moved in 5 years ago, did the stripping out part and never got any further due to running out of money and needing to work to earn more, and then just getting used to living in a building site. Well done!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It is very easy to get used to something that a few weeks earlier was yelling at you to do something.
At least a building site stays a building site.
An overgrown garden quickly becomes a jungle.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire