pruning raspberries

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jackian
Legendary Laner

pruning raspberries

Post by jackian »

This is my second year of growing raspberries at my allotment and did not prune last year but how ever many articles I look up on u tube I am still as confused as ever. >dum<
It has been a great crop this year and I would like better next year.
1. The suckers ..Do I leave them there .
2. Do I cut out all old wood and does that mean all stems that have had fruit on this year.
3. When is the best time to do it some are early fruiting and some are Autumn .
4. should they be fed over winter with manure round the base .

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: pruning raspberries

Post by Mo »

The early fruiting sort need the suckers leaving and the old wood that has fruited cutting out. Prune when they've fruited.
I think the Autumn ones grow new suckers next year to fruit on, not sure when you cut the old wood out.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Thanks Mo that is seriously clearer. I have been looking at the bushes thinking where do I start when it is time . )like(
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I've got autumn fruiting raspberries, I usually chop them right down to first bud once they've finished fruiting or the weather's turned. Usually around late oct. I don't know if that's right but it works for me (although have to say, I don't get a huge amount of fruit so be warned!)
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper