Gravel and shingle....the difference???

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Gravel and shingle....the difference???

Post by Birdbrain »

Can anyone explain to me the difference between pea gravel and pea shingle?
Shingle seems to be much cheaper. Is it that the former is washed and the latter is salt laden? Can I wash shingle to make it OK to use on my greenhouse floor?
The first egg is the best and the most expensive!
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Re: Gravel and shingle....the difference???

Post by 4c lady »

When ive brought pea gravel its been covered in a sandy substance but ive used it in the chicken run underneath builders sand so its been ok to use. I know a friend of mine brought it as a mulch for her garden and she washed the lot and left it to dry so yes its possible and if its cheaper than go for it.
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

I did go ahead with it and you can see the results in my 'There's no such thing as a cheap greenhouse' thread
Colin
The first egg is the best and the most expensive!
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Looks great. Its amazing orange the water is. I remember as children we begged for a sandpit and Dad gave in and dug us one but he couldnt afford childrens sand so we have builders sand - we constantly had orange hands and knees. We stopped using it in the winter as our cat decided it made a much nicer cat litter tray than trying to dig in the frozen earth!!
ivanskavinski
Learner Laner

Post by ivanskavinski »

So is there anyone who knows the difference between the two? I'm looking for something that is not contaminated with sand. Thought it was shingle like what you get on pebble beaches.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Hi ivanskavinski - this is an old post so the original posters are probably not around anymore

As for the difference - I personally don't think there is one. If you went into a builders yard (or a DIY store), you might see just the pea gravel or the pea shingle and might be a local description. If in any doubt, a visit would probably be a good idea to see for yourself and help to decide which one you would prefer anyway as I think they come in different graded sizes.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

4c lady wrote: I remember as children we begged for a sandpit and Dad gave in and dug us one but he couldnt afford childrens sand so we have builders sand - we constantly had orange hands and knees. We stopped using it in the winter as our cat decided it made a much nicer cat litter tray than trying to dig in the frozen earth!!

Our cat has a giant litter tray - much to my daughters disgust. He digs through the rubber chippings and sand in the horse arena.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire